should my son wear an orthotic band?

he was diagnosed with plagiocephaly at 3 1/2 months old. he is now 4 months.

Jenny229

Asked by Jenny229 at 12:46 AM on May. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter came to us at 18 months and she had a very flat head. When I asked the doctor about it he said he didn't recommend them because there hasn't been enough study on their safety and effectiveness. He told us to wait it out and she will be fine. And now her head has rounded out nicely and no one would ever know how bad it was before. And it was very, very bad before.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 12:55 AM on May. 2, 2010

• I would try using traditional methods first. My daughter had a helmet - but that was for post craniosynostosis surgery and the helmet helped her head grow correctly after the suture was removed. Dealing with the helmets are no fun if you don't have to.

I would make sure you treat any torticullis that might have caused the plagio - I HIGHLY recommend going to a chiro. Other than that, try to keep the baby out of baby seats (bouncy seats, swings, car seats when not in car, strollers, etc) and instead wear the baby and give lots of tummy time. Alternate which way his head faces in the crib and on the changing table. If you don't see improvement within the next 2 months, THEN I would consider the band.

Keep in mind most insurances won't cover it because it's not an "approved" technology, so you'll likely be paying out of pocket.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 2:43 AM on May. 2, 2010

• If that's what the doctor recommends. If you wait until 6 months it will be much harder to change!

Your baby may be spending too much time in "containers" like swings and seats. Besides a flat head this can cause container baby syndrome, a developmental disorder. Try getting rid of everything like that and using baby carriers and holding your baby. This helps the baby develop the neck and other muscles and of course gets the baby off the back of the head.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:56 AM on May. 2, 2010

• Gail baby heads do not get flat just from sitting in containers. It's because of the "back to sleep" when you lay a baby down on their back their head naturally will fall to one side and eventually the baby feels more comfortable to the one side and a flat spot develops.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 12:59 PM on May. 2, 2010

• We decided to do it. My daughter has torticollis - she had a MAJOR preference for turning her head to the right pretty much from birth - so now the back of her head on the right is flat (pladiocephaly). We noticed the flatness before her 2 month appt. and brought it up to her pediatrician then and we've done things to help. It's definitely gotten much better, but now she is mobile and we're concerned that it isn't going to continue to fix itself. We figured it's better to do it now while it's easily fixed rather than wait and it doesn't fix itself and then surgery is the only way to fix it. My daughter got hers a little under a month ago and I can already tell that it's helping. She really doesn't seem to mind it. She gets it taken off when we do her neck stretches for torticollis and then she kind of fights having it back on, but once it's on, she's fine.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 5:34 PM on May. 2, 2010

• The reason my son has this diagnosis is because he has selt through the night since he has been 3 weeks old, soi he spent 10 hours a night on his back, and we were never warned of this.
    Jenny229

Answer by Jenny229 at 10:17 PM on May. 2, 2010