Yay!..Wait, WTH is this???? Breastfeeding moms, help!

Yay! I've been trying to re-lactate and i'm proud of myself for sticking with the plan. DD refuses the boob so i've been pumping. She looks at my boob like its some creature from another world. She would rather go hungry. That being said I have been pumping every 2 hours like clock work (thank you to the mom that gave me that advice.) I have not tried supplements as of yet. So today I FINALLY got something to come to surface while pumping. It didnt actually make it into the bottle, but it did collect around the surface.
When I was done pumping I looked at the milk and wondered why it just sat there LOL. When I touched it it was sticky. I mean STICKY. Like syrup. WTH? Its yellow and sticky and i'm wondering if its even safe to give to DD.
Have any of you ever had sticky breastmilk. Yellow and sticky?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:48 AM on May. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• They are all right! Nothing that comes out of your breasts will be bad for your baby (unless you are puting substances in your body that you shouldn't). Keep going and you'll have milk before you know it!
    MyGiftsFromGod

Answer by MyGiftsFromGod at 1:40 AM on May. 2, 2010

• colostrum... also known as first milk... just keep pumping mama you will get there
    MomOfDagJag

Answer by MomOfDagJag at 12:50 AM on May. 2, 2010

• Yellow and sticky good,,,,keep pumping momma
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:55 AM on May. 2, 2010

• you're doing great! if this is the first time getting any type of milk out than that is exactly what is suppose to happen.
    khmymommi

Answer by khmymommi at 12:59 AM on May. 2, 2010

• perfect! u r doing good. and here is a link for tips to get baby back to breast http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/baby/back-to-breast.html
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:02 AM on May. 2, 2010

• yes you are doing very good.. keep it up.
    navajomama7

Answer by navajomama7 at 1:15 AM on May. 2, 2010

• Keep trying to get her on the breast too - you might be surprised and she'll just take it. Especially if you can get ahold of an SNS and have some liquid already on your nipples.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 2:40 AM on May. 2, 2010

• As pp have said, it's colostrum- and more than safe to give to your baby!

Have you tried a nipple shield? If your daughter is used to the rubbery feel of bottle a nipple shield could solve your problem. Also, make sure you're using slow-flow nipples when you do give her bottles so she has to work harder just as she would at breast.

An SNS is another great idea. Contact a local lactation consultant to find out where you can purchase one.

Good for you for re-lactating. Pumping is hard work! Keep at it, you're doing the best thing for your daughter.
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 3:21 AM on May. 2, 2010

• Spend lots of skin to skin contact time with your baby in bed or on the couch. Get her down to her diaper and wear something button up the front or snap up the front and no bra so you can slip her right in your shirt or a robe. An oversize shirt is good. Wear her in a front carrier skin to skin. It will get her used to the skin to skin contact, put her near the breast to get the right idea, and stimulate the breastfeeding hormones.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:45 AM on May. 2, 2010

• Sounds like colostrum. Great job. Have you considered using a supplemental nursing system? It might help too.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:39 AM on May. 2, 2010