When is the right time to put away a comfort toy?

My daughter is seven years old and is a twin, my other daughter doesnt and never had a comfort blanket, toy, etc. Its weird because they are identical,well just goes to show you no twins are the same =) But anyways my question is when do you try to put away or get rid of the thing your child clings to?My daughter has this dog that she has had since she was a baby. Omg this think is all torn up from washing it so many times...lol by the way she gets so mad when I wash it because she says it smells good and she doesnt like that...strange??anyways, I told her that we should put him away in a special box and she can open it up when she is older,and she told me no way, she will never give him up. She only uses it for bed, if she doesnt have it she cant sleep.She also uses it when she is upset or tired.What should I do? should I just leave it alone, and not do anything?Also she sucks her tongue when sleeping with it,another comfort.

bellamommyof4

Asked by bellamommyof4 at 1:03 AM on May. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• My DD is almost 10 and she still has hers. She mostly just keeps it on her bed. She is not allowed to take it out of the house. I don't think it's hurting anyone. She doesn't suck her thumb, but my sisters son did. He ended up getting some sort of retainer put in his mouth to stop the sucking and fix the damage from years of it.

BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 1:19 AM on May. 2, 2010

• see thats the thing, she sucks her tongue while she plays with his fur to comfort her self to sleep. You can actually hear her sucking her tongue at night. I think its messing up her teeth. She has a dentist appt in a few weeks. She lost her front teeth about four months ago, and they seem to be growing in odd. Maybe its just because she just lost them, but I keep telling her not to suck on her tongue..but she doesnt even know she is doing it. I think she is never going to give this destroyed stuffed dog up lol. Its frustrating sometimes, because she knows she is only allowed to use it when sleeping but when ever she is mad at something she cant have or what ever, she goes on her bed and hold him, plays with his fur and sucks her tongue. I guess its a comfort thing, but its annoying sometimes lol. I never let her take it out the house unless she is sleeping at grandma's or some where.
    bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 1:23 AM on May. 2, 2010

• Im 40ish...ok almost 50ish,,,,,,and I still have my teddy bear,and my jude dog,,,he is green, well he was green,,,,now parts of him,,,since he is like,,,40,,,arent so green,,,stop washing the favorite friend mamma,,I havent died,,and Im less then 50. Dd has a favorite,,let her love her favorite,,,till she is at least 50,,,,lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:29 AM on May. 2, 2010

• As long as she's not still taking it everywhere she goes, who really cares? If she is packing it to take it to the dorm with her when she leaves for college, you might have a problem though.
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 2:11 AM on May. 2, 2010

• Hey,,,the dorm is exactky the right place for Mr Snuggles...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:17 AM on May. 2, 2010

• When she's ready to put it away. There's no harm in having it. I still have my comfort toy from when I was a child, and I'm a very secure and healthy adult.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 2:27 AM on May. 2, 2010

• There's no harm in letting her have a comfort toy. It is a treasured toy that she may take with her when she leaves home. Just patch and stitch it up as needed.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:51 AM on May. 2, 2010

• My 4yr old stepson has a blanket I got him when he was about 8mos old. If I had known he was going to love the thing so much, I might have gotten an identical one at the time. lol Would make it easier to wash! MIL has actually picked on him about it too, wanting to drag it around the house when he's upset, yeah and the thumb sucking too. He asked me one day if he had to stop using it 'like nana said' I told him that when he got older, if he wanted me to, I'd make a pillow out of it so he could keep it on his bed as long as he wanted to. His first two years or so were fairly stressful so I'm not sure how long he'll keep it. But it helps him sleep & makes him feel safe. He covers me with it when I get sick to make me feel better too. I figure he'll give it up when he's ready.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 6:24 AM on May. 2, 2010

• Never. You can limit it to the bed though. I slept with a stuffed cat until I got married! No harm no foul.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:44 AM on May. 2, 2010

• My 14 year old still sleeps with BankyBay

Answer by rkoloms at 8:01 AM on May. 2, 2010