Should I praise my son for bringing up all failing grades to some what better grades but not much??

Ok so my fifteen year old is failing in school so bad this year. well every year is a struggle but he stayed back last year because of the same thing this year. Failing grades meaning F's and some D's. I am so upset with him, and he just doesnt care about school, and he will let everyone know that. Now I dont understand because he is such a good kid other wise. Listens to me as far as not hanging in the streets, drugs, curfew, mouthing off etc...but he just doesnt care about school. I have had so many meeting with the teachers and principle i lost count. They all say the same thing, that he just doesnt try! so frustrating. So this quarter he brought the all F's to all C's and one D. So should I be happy, even though its still not great? Do I tell him I am proud of him? I dont know if that will encourage him to keep doing ok..just ok, isnt good enough. I just want to see bigger improvement, but I also want to tell him he tried.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:19 AM on May. 2, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• yes he went from F's to C's I would let him know that is good however the D is unacceptable.. yes let him know you are proud that he is trying, that you know he is smart & that you know he can do even better so keep up the good work. As long as he is passing I would leave him alone, if you push to hard he may just decide to drop out.. take baby steps let him know you are proud that he trying... once he is getting all C or above then ask him what he wants to do after high school try to motivate him into wanting good grades so he can go to college.. in the end he sounds like a good kid
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 1:28 AM on May. 2, 2010

• YES!!! Praise & Encourage Him... If you show that you dont expect much from a child, You will set him up for failure. Also help him study and help him do his homework, its great for bonding and you can help him improve on his weak points.
    navajomama7

Answer by navajomama7 at 1:37 AM on May. 2, 2010

• Have you thought about homeschooling? I would look into charter schools if you yourself can't teach him. sounds like he's not interested in whatever the public school is teaching. I bet he would get good grades if they focused on something he liked (which i know is not always possible when you have a room full of 30 other students).
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:43 AM on May. 2, 2010

• to answer your question though.
    Yes. tell him that you truly appreciate his efforts in school. That you would still like to see more out of him but that you are very proud of the progress he has made so far. it's hard work to bring your grades up!
    outstandingLove

• yes, praise him, he has made a huge effort compared to other years and you must acknowledge that. Not all kids suit the school system, and he is obviously one of them, but he has tried to lift the standard and has done enough that his teachers have noticed. Well done Momma!
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 2:12 AM on May. 2, 2010

• Yes you should. He went from F's to C's and a D. Those aren't the worst grades...he's already HAD those. He's now at the average level. Be happy that he IS trying.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 2:19 AM on May. 2, 2010

• I'd tell him that I'm proud of his effort in bringing up his grades and the work he's done to get the better grades. Do you think he's capable of better grades? If so I'd let him know that as proud and happy as you are with his improved efforts, you think he's capable of doing even better and would like him to continue with his efforts and maybe bring his grades up even more.

And certainly ask what his plans are for after high school. Let him know that the grades he gets now will impact his future. It's hard for kids to think that far ahead sometimes or to realise that C's and D's can impact their university acceptance, but it is a fact. So you might need to impress on him that depending on what he wants to do after HS, he really does need to work on his grades and his efforts.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 2:52 AM on May. 2, 2010

• I went through this with mine, and yes praising him is the best thing you can do. I wouldn't, however talk about college though, he may not be interested in going, not everybody does, despite what their parents want. Mine ended up going into the navy for two years, then was a blob on his dad's couch for awhile. lol He made the choice to go to school and he's doing great.

daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 6:14 AM on May. 2, 2010

• YES praise him, show him that even a little bit of effort is better than none at all! And that he can do it and you will be happy!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:45 AM on May. 2, 2010

• Praise and encouragement are certainly good starts. What concerns me is that is seems like you haven't truly discussed this problem with your son. You need to sit down and really listen to his answers. What are his goals and aspirations? Where does he see himself in five years? Ten years? How does education fit into his life plans? I suspect that his answers will guide you on how best to help him.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:58 AM on May. 2, 2010