What language do you think in?

so me and my family just moved to usa a few years ago. I have always wanted to know if any of you have been throw this what ur thoughts are. Like when i am talking to myself in my head its in german mainly. Is it this way for u? ex if you were to move to say mexico and learned spainsh would you think in spanish from that point on or would u stay thinking in english? I know kinda random a Q...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:06 AM on May. 2, 2010 in Just for Fun

• No, sounds like a totally bi-llingual question,,,I know only one languag, but am in owe of those that speak more then one
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:13 AM on May. 2, 2010

• I only know english, but my kids are in french immersion school and are pretty fluent in french. They think in english. I think that you'd would probably always think in your first language, the one you are most comfortable with, though the more fluent and comfortable you are with another language the higher the chances are you would think in that language.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 3:16 AM on May. 2, 2010

• Igpay Atinlay.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:58 AM on May. 2, 2010

• I live in Greece(am married to a Greek)and speak/think in English or Greek depending on the listener.I mean that both my daughters and I are bilingual so I tend to think in my mother tongue(English) before speaking to my girls.With my husband it's the other way around because obviously it's his mother tongue so I guess I instinctively pick up on that and think in Greek.It can get amusing at times when your stuck for words and something pops up in one language when you want to say it in another.as long as what you say isn't Greeklish or perhaps Germanlish then you're fine.
    MyrMar

Answer by MyrMar at 4:00 AM on May. 2, 2010

• My son's college psychology text reports about how your attitudes are different depending on the language you are thinking in. If you are given a test in English you will answer with Western values and if given the same test in Japanese you will answer with values more consistent with Japan.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:07 AM on May. 2, 2010

• i lived in america til i turned 16. then i moved to palestine, so i now speak arabic to those that dont speak english. but i think i'll always think in english. sometimes i make mistakes when i translate what im thinking n my husband will be like, thats gramatically incorrect. so i'd tell him its because its exactly the translation. i think english first then speak arabic after translating in my mind. so thats why it probably comes out weird sometimes or i translate too fast. does that make any sense?
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 6:47 AM on May. 2, 2010

• My friend Maria thinks/speaks in a mixture of english/spanish. When she's talking to her mom, 95% of the time, it's half-and-half!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 9:59 AM on May. 2, 2010

• That's very interesting gailll.
    Anonymous

• That's very interesting Gailll
    Anonymous