What to do in case of tornado in a mobile home?

We live in a mobile home and I'm not sure what we would need to do if there were a tornado. A lot of people I know just go up to Walmart but I don't know if that's really the best option. Please give me as much information as possible to help keep my family safe. If there's any information on programs to help families pay for a shelter, that would be helpful too. By the way-I am in Oklahoma.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:14 AM on May. 2, 2010 in Travel

• We used to live in a mobile home in Indiana. We we alway told we were better off outside than in the mobile home. If you can't get to a building it is supposed to be safer laying in any ditch or depressed area than being in a mobile home. We had a creek behind our mobile home park and we were supposed to take our babies and go lay in the creek every tornado warning. I kid you not.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:04 AM on May. 2, 2010

• GET OUT OF IT!!! So, many people don't know this, but staying a trailer during a tornado is like asking for death. Don't think that rolling down the windows and getting in the bathtub with a mattress is going to save you. Get out and get to the nearest brick building. A school... a fire house.. anything.. If it's too close, just get in the nearest ditch! It's safer to be outside in a ditch then to be in a trailer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:04 AM on May. 2, 2010

• You go get in a ditch...or find someone with a house that will let you in. You DO NOT stay in the house. I live in Louisiana in a trailer. If there is a tornado here, we get outside and decide if we need to get into the ditch.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:05 AM on May. 2, 2010

• Maybe walmart bathrooms.. but not in the main store.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:05 AM on May. 2, 2010

• I don't live in a tornado prone area, but don't you have to have tornado tie towns under your mobile homes? Do the tie downs help at all?
    To the OP: Good luck and stay safe! I hope everything turns out ok for you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:42 AM on May. 2, 2010

• No, the tie downs really won't do any good if a tornado tries to pick up the trailer. OP, the other posters were right, if there is a tornado in your vicinity the best thing to do is seek permanent (ie something that isn't likely to fly away- a church, Walmart, anywhere) shelter as soon as the sirens sound or find yourself a ditch and hope nothing falls on you. Walmart stores are built to withstand all sorts of weather; you may not think it looks safe to go into a building with no "interior rooms" but the center of the store is the safest place to be if that is the nearest permanent structure. If there is a church or school nearby those would be even better.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 8:45 AM on May. 2, 2010

• OP here: TY ladies so much. I want to be prepared. :)
    Anonymous