german boy?

So my little girl (well i guess grown up now..) went off to germany and of corse I would never think this day would come but she is bringing a german boy back with her. He knows no english at all and has never been to the usa. Im not sure how to handle it- i know no german myself no1 in our family does. How should i act? and is there any like things that upset german people like certian things that our inpolite that i sould avoid?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:21 AM on May. 2, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• just make him some saurkraut..lol..and he'll love you!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:24 AM on May. 2, 2010

• Make him saurkraut? That's so ignorant, not to mention being a stereotype, it's like saying all Americans love american style football.
    Are you sure he knows no english at all? We lived in Germany for 3 yrs and most of the people we met spoke it some. Some of them actually spoke it better then some Americans I've known. I'd say just smile and if you want to ask him something..face him directly instead of asking your DD 'does he...whatever the question'. The only thing I can think of that might offend is something we were told when we lived there, I never knew if it was true or not though. Our standard OK hand gesture? The one where you put your first finger and thumb together? We were told over there it means a$$-h..e.
    Other then that, ask DD if he has anything special he likes to eat, if it's a german dish, you can google it. And relax, if you're uptight and tense, it will make him the same. good luck
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 5:57 AM on May. 2, 2010

• thank you and i guess he know the raw a basics like yes, no, I, you, the, love, hello but thats it. I know he is vegan and cant eat wheat which is not helping me and cooking. Also he is only 19 so thats so youngh it stresses me out a bit more too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:09 AM on May. 2, 2010

• Believe it or not, he'll probably know more english than you think he will. Vegan - just serve lots of steamed fresh vegatables. For no wheat - look for Gluten free products - he probably has Celiacs (sp).
    19 isn't that young, but my husband works for a German company that sends interns over to the local plant at 18. They do a 1,2, or 3 year internship here and then go back to Germany.

I think you'll find him polite and helpful. They aren't much different than we are other than they are more open with their sexuality and sex. Good luck and if all else fails ask your daughter. She's obviously able to communicate with him.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:49 AM on May. 2, 2010

• Germans shake hands. Not so much with the hugging and kissing on the cheek like the Italians.

Anonymous

• how cool..

he might know english...
    pisces_chick89

Answer by pisces_chick89 at 5:41 PM on May. 3, 2010

• ok my husband is from germany and he said that is a lie that he would not no English cause it is mandatory to learn English
    BrItTnEyStEeL

Answer by BrItTnEyStEeL at 9:41 PM on May. 6, 2010

• hmmm...firsts treat him like a person...you know despite him being "german" and I think it everything else will work out fine...smdh!
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 1:44 PM on May. 7, 2010

• I'm german and the thing that irritates me most is when someone puts me on the spot like "this is such and such, she is german, say something in german" and we learn english mandatory starting in elementary school
    Anonymous

• My best friend lives in Germany, and she says the children are taught many languages. I am surprised this boy would not be more fluent in English. As for how to treat him--- treat him as you would any other person-- with respect, kindness and consideration. I would be more concerned about fixing things that are appropriate for vegans.
    I
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on May. 11, 2010