i have a son he's 6 months old but has the habit of waking up at night what can i do?

he wakes up 2-3 times a night he sometimes just wants to eat or just wants to play AT NIGHT i haven't slept 1 whole night since he was born untill now i need more rest i have some health problems too..
ps: he only takes a nap in the morning 1 hour and in the afternoon 2hour is that to much what can i do?

krystina888

Asked by krystina888 at 4:10 AM on May. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had the same problem here, my DD is almost 7 months old, I bf, my pediatrician told me to let her cry and that some babies are more stubborn and cry until 1 hour! I was shocked, I never let her cry 1 minut either! But I had to try it because I wasn't sleeping at all (I have a 2 and half y\o too) and I was starting to feel sick (bad headache and nausea all the time), she cried just 2 night (and not so long) and then she starts to sleep throw the night, the doctor said that she has to go in her crib when she's still awake and her last memory must be her crib and not my arms (I was nursing her to sleep).
    shining8250

Answer by shining8250 at 6:26 PM on May. 2, 2010

• the best you can do is to NOT play with him at night, keep the lights low, and tell him in a calm voice that it's time for bed. You could always try the ferber method, but if you do, make sure you stick to it. You'll have a lot more problems with sleeping if you don't. Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:12 AM on May. 2, 2010

• He is average. Not much you can do. I recommend you sleep when he sleeps. Try not to play or turn on many lights or talk when he wakes up at night. Try to keep him occupied during the day.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:12 AM on May. 2, 2010

• It's normal for children to wake at night until they are 3 years or older. Keep nights dark and boring. Feed and only change diapers if poopy or if the baby has rash or gets rash easily.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:39 AM on May. 2, 2010

• We have a 4 yr old that does that, except usually no one hears him get up and he will normally get into mischief. He doesn't always takes naps either, we've tried keeping him awake during the day for a week at a time...and he still wakes up. I've gone for over a year now with only being able to sleep about 2-3 hrs at a time. I can't wait for the 4 wk visit for him and his brother (who is 5) they have with bio-mom this summer...I may sleep the whole time.

Good luck, hope yours grows out of it soon.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 6:03 AM on May. 2, 2010

• Your baby is perfectly normal; your expectations are not. Many babies don't sleep through the night on a regular basis (six solid hours) until well past their first birthday.
    Co-sleeping really helped me cope; it was easy to doze/nap while my daughter nursed during the night.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:55 AM on May. 2, 2010

• It's normal for a baby that age to still be waking at night... you just have to give it time.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:21 AM on May. 2, 2010

• Agree with the others, its completely normal. My ds is over a year and I still havent had a full nights sleep, some babies just dont sleep at night as well as others. When he wakes up though if its to play I would keep it dark, keep it boring, I will just lay on the floor next to mine and tell him its night night time, and not play with him at all, soon enough he gets bored enough to go back to sleep. He may also be teething, mine always wakes up more when he is teething.
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 10:38 AM on May. 2, 2010

• Sounds normal to me. I haven't had a full nights sleep in over 4 years. When he wakes, feed him if he is hungry, but DON'T play. Lay with him, in the dark, and try to get him to understand that night time is for resting.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:40 AM on May. 2, 2010

• I think every baby goes through this. I try not to talk to him when he wakes up. I change him, feed him, and put him back to bed. I only use the little night light that is on the monitor stand. He'll grow out of it. Just make sure you don't get him up to play and he will learn that night time is for sleeping. I hope this helps <3
    amberdawnbarr

Answer by amberdawnbarr at 11:50 AM on May. 2, 2010