my dd's first night in the top bunk of a bunk bed!

I am freaking out! I can't sleep...My dd is 3 1/2 and she is sleeping in the top bunk of a new bunk bed and i am so nervous that she is going to hurt herself...I feel like maybe i made a terrible decsion about the type of bed we got her but she was too tall for a toddler bed and we didn't have ANY money and we got this bed for free from my sister...please make me feel better!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:14 AM on May. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• Why can't she sleep on the bottom? I wouldn't put a kid on top bunk until they were at least five. Just getting out of bed tired she could hurt herself. Is there anyway to take the top bunk off.. or lower it?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:26 AM on May. 2, 2010

• no...it isn't technically a bunk bed i think it is called a "loft" bed...It was that or her sleeping on the floor...She is kind of a chicken though...I mean she has climbed up and down the ladder about 50 times already and she does it VERY slowly.....I don't know....we didn't have another option..I though this bed was better than NO bed....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:34 AM on May. 2, 2010

• She's too young. Put the bed mattress on the floor and use the bunk for storage. I had 3 boys that usually had to share one room and usually one or more of them had to sleep on the mattress on the floor.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:46 AM on May. 2, 2010

• I slept on a mattress on the floor when I was a kid and it never hurt me... you fall off the bed.. it's a really short fall.. and it doesn't hurt. I would be worried that she would fall... You can put the mattress right under and I'm sure no one will even say anything about it. You're just trying to keep her safe. Good luck to you :)

Btw, my 14 year old brother fell off the top bunk while sleeping.. it had rails too... so it's really not a matter of age, it's a matter of how old they are when it doesn't hurt as much to fall.... and at 3, she could prolly fracture something...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:04 AM on May. 2, 2010

• UHG, what might have thought to have been a good idea, ummm maybe not.' Benn there done that, just put matress on floor for now.If it takes up to much room take down the whole bed set for a while.Really not that big a deal, it won't be to long before you can set it all back-up.Maybe just get used to the idea for a while.
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 7:46 AM on May. 2, 2010

• My 3 1/2 yo dd is in the top bunk and her 15 month old sister is in the bottom bunk. They love their bed and neither has fallen out yet. The first few nights (about 4 months ago) we put blankets (lots) on the floor around the bed for the youngest, but the top bunk has a rail, so I'm not really worried about it anyway. Plus, neither one had ever fallen out of a bed before and I didn't feel like they would start just because they were in a new bed, kwim?
    kttycat84

Answer by kttycat84 at 11:09 AM on May. 2, 2010

• my boy was 3 when he went to the top bunk. i remember being afraid for him that first night, but no one has fallen out yet! now that it is the next day...how did she do?
    if she does not like it, i would try the mattress on the floor, but she is probably old enough to decide for herself.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:54 AM on May. 2, 2010

• ok so we have bunk beds in out kids room, i have one thats 2 and one thats almost 6. the 6 year old sleeps on top, and as hard as i try i cant keep the baby from going up top. he can climb up and down the stair better than his sister. he pushes her out of his way bc she climbs up way slower than he does. at night hes supposed to sleep on bottom but most times i get up and check on them and he is on the top sleeping with his sister. my best friend had a 2 year old son and she let him sleep on top, and he learned how to get up and down the stairs without hurting himself. if your child isnt scared then i wouldnt stress it too much. kids can get hurt doing anything but a 4 year old should be able to sleep on a bunk bed if my 2 year old can
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 12:25 PM on May. 2, 2010

• I have a loft bed from ikea (akura bed), my dd is 29 months old I put a matress on the floor with all pillows and she loves it because she can jump up and down from it without problems, and me and my dh can go in her bed to read her a book.
    Anonymous

• UPDATE-
    SHE DID GREAT!!!! No problems at all! I left her door open all night so i could see her from our room...now i just have to slowly transtion us to shutting the door at night (her room gets really cold so if i leave the door open the heat escapes!) Thanks for the tips everyone!
    Anonymous