husband is going to join the airforce :-(

my husband has taken up steps to join the airforce and it took a long time for me to agree to it. he really wants to do it so i feel bad saying no over and over again. what will happen to us (me and the kids) while he's gone? what type of stuff will be part of our lives with him being in the military?

khmymommi

Asked by khmymommi at 9:50 AM on May. 2, 2010 in Relationships

• Why the unhappy face? My DH joined the AF right outta high school and he's really happy in his career field (communications). If you're already married, then he'll get money for housing for you guys while he's gone. You'll move a lot, but other than that, it's really not a bad life. Don't have to worry about doctor bills, don't have to worry about much really.. I think it's great!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on May. 2, 2010

• My husband was thinking about that, but I told him I didn't marry into military for a reason lol I didn't want to be a military wife...I dont' care for the lifestyle, and I think it changes people, IMO.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on May. 2, 2010

• i guess i'm a little scared. I don't know what it's like and i wonder if he'll be okay, and if we'll be okay, i guess i don't like not knowing what is over the horizon
    khmymommi

Answer by khmymommi at 9:55 AM on May. 2, 2010

• IMO my husband joining the Army was the best thing that ever happened to him. He LOVES his job and it has changed him as a person dramatically, in a good way of coarse. I know the lifestyle isn't for everyone, but it's really not that bad. I've only been through one deployment so far, and it was a bit rough, but the minute he got home it felt as if he never left! Like that year he was gone never existed. As long as you have a strong relationship with your husband it will work out just fine. The benefits are great and it gives you a sense of pride that your husband is defending our country. I say kudos to him and your family ;) Feel free to send me a FR if you ever wanna chat. I find it easier talking and getting advice from others that are in the same situation that I am.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 9:58 AM on May. 2, 2010

• You will be JUST fine.TRUST me.My hubby is stationed here at Fort Meade md :) He is in the Army and honestly I have grown to love the military life.Its secure,housing isnt bad,INSURANCE,great school programs for spouses,Job help,Cant really get "fired"So many great things.Sure the military is gonna change him,but for the better.A new confident man is sexy.You wont worry when you see that uniform :P. You will have more option to see the world.ITS not forever if he doesnt want to make a career out of it.I really havent meet a single person who doesnt love being a Military wife.
    he has to do Bootcamp before you can really know where you will be moving to.If he picked Combat camera he will be here at Ft Meade ;) lol My hubby being in the Military has let me be a SAHM ITS been the best.GOOD luck.be strong ok.He needs you.
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 10:05 AM on May. 2, 2010

• well at least I'd have a bunch of people to talk to on cafemom lol. you all make it seem wonderful. but i still have jitters. hopefully i'll be able to keep things in tack here at home while he's gone. do you guys have any tips for me??? PLEASE????
    khmymommi

Answer by khmymommi at 10:09 AM on May. 2, 2010

• I can not speak for the AIr Force, only army. I am not sure if all military branches are alike. But, lets just say,. getting out of the military was the best thing. (husband med boarded for injury). Of Course, his unit was horrible, his Chain of Command was no good. They have no compassion for anyone. They are also not very family oriented.

But, could just be wonderful Ft Hood :-) I haven't met one wife who enjoyed being there.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 10:12 AM on May. 2, 2010

• Being military is wonderful. . . my Hubby was Navy and I grew up Air force. . . It is a great life.
    Tips. . .embrace it. . . you will have security, like guaranteed medical, housing allowance on top of the guaranteed paycheck, yes you will move a lot. . .but that is always a new and fun adventure.
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 10:15 AM on May. 2, 2010

• I did also.I had a panic attack when he left,when i packed my stuff,lived in a hotel for a month before getting a home lol. JUST DO NOT MOVE until he gets you a place to live 1st.THAT was stressful.My in laws wanted to see him graduate boot camp.So we came from CA to SC then drove from SC to MD.I couldn't get a house for a month :/ and I couldn't get back to Cali.That was the most stress for us.Because he was in school and couldnt live with me til he was a certain phase in his schooling.ALSO the longer the school you WILL be able to move where he is while in school.My hubbys school was 9 months and we have mow been here for almost 3 years lol You will get the hang of it.at 1st its kinda hard..We just did our 1st deployment and he will be leaving again at the end of the year :( BUT he is Army and he volunteers to deploy.lol
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 10:18 AM on May. 2, 2010

• ALSO the longer the school you WILL be able thats supposed to say"ALSO the longer the school you WILL most likely be able

lol sorry

ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 10:21 AM on May. 2, 2010