HeadLice @ School

We live in a small town. Well the grade school my son goes to, has had an outbreak of Headlice. We have all been checked and do not have any.
But I dont want to send my son back to school on Monday, Knowing the school has not/is not doing anything to get Rid of them!

A bunch of us parents all feel the same way, and are not going to be sending our children to school.

Is there not any kind of "law" or regulation that a school has to take necessary action to get Rid of the Problem??

They sure want you to keep your kid home for 24 hours if he runs a fever, but yet they expect me to send him to school, knowing the place has several cases of Headlice and keep letting those kids back into school without even checking them!?

Sunshine_2

Asked by Sunshine_2 at 12:13 PM on May. 2, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Head lice is fairly easily rendered by the parent of the child with it and is not the school's responsibility to cure. If 10 kids in one class have a cold, would you send your child? Colds can cause more harm the lice simply because they can develop into other things. Would you expect the school to do something about colds or other viruses? Once the child has been treated for the lice, they are no longer contagious and may return to school. As long as there are children in the world there is going to be headlice. Tell your child not to rub his head against anyone or wear anyone's clothing and dont lay on carpets flooring...otherwise he'll be fine. BTW, lice like CLEAN hair.
    Anonymous

• That is just silly. Explain to your son not to rub heads with kids, not to share hats, coats, etc. Lice is really no big deal. I have two girls with long hair... we had it once. Yes it was a pain but it wasnt the end of the world. I think you are all a bit up tight about this lice thing.

Anonymous

• they check all heads and if someone has it, they are sent home and not allowed back until clean. You are a shitty person. I happen to get lice very easily... and had it like six times in school... don't act like your kid is above it.
    Anonymous

• Excuse me! First off I really dont appreciate being called a "Shitty" person. How childish
    And yes, I'm aware that Headlice is not the end of freaking world, but it is a pain in the butt to treat everything and would like to just avoid getting it all together (my bad that this makes me a shitty person, i guess)

My concern was the kids that are being sent home with it...are coming back and are not being checked again.
    This school just fired the janitor and has no school nurse, So who's cleaning the school?!

Sunshine_2

Answer by Sunshine_2 at 12:54 PM on May. 2, 2010

• I got headlice in Junior High, and Im sorry it was embarrasing
    Everytime we would get rid of it, I would go back and get it again.
    Head lice treatment is not cheap!

My aunt (who i lived with) finially had to call the school and have a talk with the principle and nurse

It's not fair for only part of us to do what's necessary to get rid of it, and the others just keep spreading it back
    Sunshine_2

Answer by Sunshine_2 at 12:59 PM on May. 2, 2010

• cut ur sons hear to the shortest length for the clippers. then the lice cant attach to his hair. also wash ur hair in vinager and also ur daughters hair
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 5:46 PM on May. 2, 2010

• IN SC, the health department had regulations about head lice in public schools.....the offending classroom was to be scrubbed and spray treated the night that the lice were found in the class room.

Same here in NC. There ARE Regulations. All you can do is report the problem to your local health department. Unlike Body lice, the Head Louse doesn't carry or spread disease. The problem is that some people can get secondary infections from scratching the itch.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 6:11 PM on May. 2, 2010

• If you are THAT concerned that you are willing to pull your child out.... and there is no school nurse... then do something.

If they are under staffed dont complain - act. Make it happen. Be pro-active.

Start calling moms and get volunteers to do lice checks.....Type up a form that each volunteer mom will sign saying they have read up on lice, know what to look for, and will be discreet and NOT discuss who has lice (there are still privacy rules). Go to the principal with the form, a list of volunteers, and make it happen.

You have a valid complaint... but you also have the power to change things.

Anonymous

• the school is responsible to check those kids before they come back! I had head lice in kinder and I was checked before I could come back. I would not send my kid if I knew they were allowing kids back before they got rid of the lice!
    Anonymous

• Thank you past few people for your responces and your advice!
    I really do appreciate the helpful information.
    (and thank you for not calling me names..lol)

Sunshine_2

Answer by Sunshine_2 at 8:06 PM on May. 2, 2010