can you make someone not a godmother and have someone else be your child's godmother?

i no longer want my daughter's current godmother to be her godmother so i was wondering if there is a way in the church to make someone else the godmother? i don't want a big baptism just something that says this person is the godmother and the other one is not any longer.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:19 PM on May. 2, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I would check with the church. I think the new godmother has to go through the classes, but I dont know for sure. You are going to have hurt feelings though....
    Anonymous

• I'm not sure, but am curious to the answer. My daughter's godfather is no longer a part of our lives, and really, I don't think DH should have chosen him in the first place. I'd love to be able to change it to my brother, who is also DS's godfather, and both kids already have the same godmother.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:25 PM on May. 2, 2010

• OP, what religion? We're Roman Catholic. Just wondering, because the answers may differ depending on the religion.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:26 PM on May. 2, 2010

• For Catholics I think there are some instances where the church will issue a new certificate with different Godparents, you would have to talk to your priest because it is up to the Archbishop. It is easier if the person you want as Godparents actually witnessed the baptism because that's part of the Godparents role, to be a witness of Baptism. 

If you want to go a less formal way you could just as easily nominate someone else and have them be a stand in for the Godparent you wish to remove.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 1:44 PM on May. 2, 2010

• yes i am roman catholic. i have to find out from the church. well hurt feelings is the least of my concern at the moment.
    Anonymous