anyone have a great recipe for lemon merainge (sp? lol) pie?

ok let me explain i am a great baker and cook, but i just have never been able to make a good lemon merainge (and yes i know that's spelled wrong lol but there is no spell check when you're writing the question) pie. i need a good tried and true recipe.... and also one of the problems was with the crust. i know how to make great crust, so i don't need a recipe for that, but do you have to pre-bake it before you put the filling in? and how long? this is my dad's favorite pie and i want to make it for his birthday which is coming up on the 5th. i have tried a couple of times in the past and they were miserable failures lol. thanks for your help!

princessbeth79

Asked by princessbeth79 at 12:39 PM on May. 2, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Yes, you prebake the crust for 8 to 10 minutes. Here's the recipe I always use, and it's gotten great reviews.

Lemon Meringue Pie

Filling:

* 1 1/2 c. sugar
    * 1/3 c. cornstarch
    * 1 1/2 c. water
    * 3 egg yolks, beaten
    * 3 Tbsp. margarine
    * 1/4 c. lemon juice

Mix sugar, cornstarch and water in pan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. boil one minue. Stir about 1/2 of the hot mixture into the egg yolks, stirring constantly. Return to pan and boil for 1 minute more. Remove from heat, stir in lemon juice and margarine until melted. Pour into baked pie shell.

Meringue:

* 3 egg whites
    * 1 tsp. lemon juice
    * 6 Tbsp. sugar
    * 1/2 tsp. vanilla

Beat egg whites with lemon juice at high speed until light and foamy. Gradually beat in sugar. Continue beating at high speed until stiff and sugar is dissolved. Slowly mix in van
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 2:01 PM on May. 2, 2010

• My friend Cheryl and I love lemon meringue pie and when we decided to make it for a office party, nothing was as good as when we went to Paula Dean from the food network. Ur arms may get tired but it was really good. Good luck to you sweetie.
    MsAzucar

Answer by MsAzucar at 2:17 PM on May. 2, 2010

• I like michiganmom116 answer, good luck!~
    MsAzucar

Answer by MsAzucar at 2:19 PM on May. 2, 2010

• ok....I just realized my answer got cut off, here is the REST of the recipe LOL

Slowly mix in vanilla. Pile meringue on hot pie filling, spreading in from the edge and sealing to the edge. Bake at 400 for 8 t0 10 minutes. Watch carefully! Remove when lightly browned. Cool slowly away from drafts. Store in refrigerator.

Note: you can substitute lime juice for the lemon juice to make a lime meringue pie. Add a drop or two of green food coloring to the filling if desired.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 2:20 PM on May. 2, 2010

• I can bake too, but a real lemon meringue pie is beyond my abilities somehow....never managed to make ti work.

I use shirrif lemon mix. lol

bake the crust first!!!

and for meringue I always double the recipe for what it calls for so there's more than enough.

and when you put the meringue on - make sure it touches the crust - that way when it bakes it won't shrink as much and pull away.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:39 PM on May. 2, 2010

• ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 5:57 PM on May. 2, 2010

• I'm making one for mothers day and I also use Paula Deens recipe and it comes out great. I make a graham cracker crust with slivered almonds and it is so good. Go to her website and print out the recipe. You'll love it.

zbee

Answer by zbee at 8:23 AM on May. 7, 2010

• Look up dear abby she has a very good lemon meringue pie
    mommy2boys03

Answer by mommy2boys03 at 1:32 PM on May. 7, 2010