Pagan Kids...

My children are 4 & 2 1/2. My DH is Christian, so we are not teaching them either path. However, I feel it's important for them to learn the very bare basics. I have gotten them a couple of story books about the myths (greek, norse & christian) and they love them. But I'm not sure what to do beyond that. We don't want to get in to actually teaching beliefs, but more along teaching the "way of life." The problem is it's hard to do one and not the other.

Any tips would be great. We want our kids to be 100% open when they get to a point where they can choose their path and believe it's wrong to pick for them. But we still want to involve them in the "non-religious" aspects of our belief systems... We do Yule & Christmas for example, but leave the religious part out - we just do a story, special dinner & gifts. Even though the myths are religious, we don't teach them - but just treat them as any other book...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:47 PM on May. 2, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• We are currently trying out a Unitarian church and what you are talking about sounds a lot like the Unitarian religon, you should google it and check it out. A lot of the religon is about choosing your own path and beliefs. They do celebrate christian holidays and talk about stories in the Bible, but don't take them literally and really how you interpret them is up to you. It's a very laid back religon that allows you to follow your own spiritual path and teaches you about love, understanding and openess to the world aorund you. The youth group actually just spoke at the service this morning and talekd about how growing up Unitarian has allowed them to be who they want to be spiritually. A woman also talked about how her 5 kids felt they could choose their own religon as adults based on growing up Unitarian.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 1:32 PM on May. 2, 2010

• OP here - thanks, but we don't have a UU church within driving distance, and we don't believe in Church... My husband believes God is with you always, and doesn't need a church to hear you. And being Pagan, I'm just not comfortable in one...
    Anonymous

• I am Wiccan and dh is Christian and our 9 yr old is being taught both... basically what we are doing is simply answering his questions, but since some of his classmates have pretty much condemned Christianity in our little mans eyes, he is now more open to my path than the other, but we continue to teach him both, teaching him understanding, tolerance of others and patience. But the hands on (as I call it) is more of my path, teaching all about Gaia, her gifts etc... he is more acceptable to this way right now... He believes that there is a Mother Goddess and a Father God...
    It's not easy when teaching our children of 2 different paths... you don't want to teach above the other...
    When answering our little mans ?'s we use the internet for as much of the answers regarding both sides... Holidays are circular mostly around here... I do not include him yet in ritual or spell work and we tell him that NO ONE is better than he.
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 3:52 PM on May. 2, 2010