Throwing food?

My one year old will sit and toss her dinner on the floor, one piece at a time. She's still hungry when she's doing this.. it's in between bites... but the food she puts on the floor is wasted! Any advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:47 PM on May. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When my son went through this if he dropped food on the floor (intentionally) the meal was over and we took him down out of his high chair. It only took a couple of times of his meal being over before he was really ready before he got the message not to throw food. (He never went hungry - there's only 2-3 hours between the times he eats anyway, what with meals and snacks)

Answer by missanc at 4:46 PM on May. 2, 2010

• Go back to feeding her bites and don't put the food infront of her, keep it near you and just feed her one bite at a time.
    Also do not react to her when she drops food on the floor. If she has no reaction from it, she will stop doing it. Also make sure if you have a pet that like to eat table scraps, to make sure they are put outside during meal time, so the animal is not reinforcing the bad habit.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:30 PM on May. 2, 2010

• my daughter did this one too!! Drove me nuts! lol. I get what the pp said about only giving one bite at a time, but to me that just doesnt make sense. especially because what my daughter would do is take a piece of food, take a bite and throw the other half on the floor. We finally figured out that she was bored in her high chair. She didnt like being restrained, so at about 16 months we bought her a little table and chairs and now she eats there. She doesnt throw any food on the floor since we started that. its been wonderful! I think my dog may finally start losing weight since he wont have all the scraps to eat up lol
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 3:09 PM on May. 2, 2010

• OP here: Well, my DD is prolly bored... but I don't restrain her and she can't even walk yet (she's 12M).. so a table would be kinda hard to keep her there.... >< Unfortunately we don't have a dog... I just have quite a mess to clean up!
    Anonymous

• I didnt mean restrain like strapping her in =) we never strapped in my daughter ( i know I know im a horrible parent lol, im sure someone will make a comment about how bad of a mom I am for that one) anyways, it wasnt really being restrained, it was the fact that she was in the high chair itself and she couldnt move freely. My daughter didnt walk at 12 months either so we had to put up with the food tossing for a long time too. I wish I had a perfect answer for you, but honestly it was just something I had to put up with. I never figured out how to get her to stop!! Give it time, and when she is a little older give the table a shot. maybe try a booster at your table instead? she might feel like a big girl. and the only other advice I got is invest in a dog, it will save your back lol JK!!!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 4:33 PM on May. 2, 2010

• Only give her a few pieces of food at a time. She's still a baby...way too early to implement any sort of table manners.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on May. 3, 2010