Gay marriage Question redone..

I was wondering how Gay marriage could possibly be illegal. There's a separation of church and state, but Gay's can't get married in 48 great states because "God says so." Why is this? If the state imposed a law to get a cut of each weeks offering, there'd be an global outcry."Oh no Oh no!! You can't do that there's a separation between us!!" I have never understood what legally prevented Gays from getting married. A lot of people say it has to do with God because marriage is a Christian relationship between man and woman, well what about Athiests? Hindu's? Buddists? Agnostics? Pagans!! They're all married on a regular basis. I don't remember when I filled out my marriage license it asking for my religion, so why would it matter whether or not it's a marriage under God? Can anyone help me?

gabrielle_x

Asked by gabrielle_x at 11:20 AM on Jun. 27, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• you know why thye are sticking their noses into it? they get to reap the benefit of all those unmarried peoples taxes!
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 3:36 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• I think marriage is looked at as a constitution. It provides benefits to the couple and it's simply the next step in a relationship. I look at marriage as taking a vow under God to be with my husband for better or for worse. And honestly, I don't care who gets married, I just don't like it when people use a church because it's "tradition". Especially if they don't even believe in God in the first place! It's almost like they are mocking the church.
    bethany_smith

Answer by bethany_smith at 11:28 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• You're obviously just trying to start a debate thread. You already have your opinions mapped out, so why does it matter?
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:28 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• No Renee, I redid my question to include the end part about why Athiests could get married under the eyes of the state, but not Gays. Sorry if you think I'm trying to start a debate, but I honestly don't understand.
    gabrielle_x

Answer by gabrielle_x at 11:33 AM on Jun. 27, 2008

• Because most politicians are still religious. Also because the religious community is calling the representatives at a higher rate.
    ilovemybananer

Answer by ilovemybananer at 3:13 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• A contract made in due form of law, by which a free man and a free woman reciprocally engage to live with each other during their joint lives, in the union which ought io exist between husband and wife. By the terms freeman and freewoman in this definition are meant, not only that they are free and not slaves, but also that they are clear of all bars to a lawful marriage. That's a legal definition and that is what the hubub is about. Same reason polygamy is illegal. There is a seperation of church and state but turns out traditionally, state law has reflected people's religious views anyway. Times are changing and so are the laws.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 3:30 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• It's about the votes. The more people stand up and say they don't agree with the law and more people become gay & lesbian friendly, the more the politicians are gonna look for their votes. Thus, a change in the law. Till then, this is what is handed down. It's sad. I know several gay peoople and they just want the same rights as us. And sometimes I wonder if their lifestyle somehow threatens them.
    Anonymous