Should my teen daughter be allowed to attend Sun/Wed night church youth group even though she is on restriction for the week?

My teen daughter found herself on restriction this week. Now, she is arguing with me that I can't stop her from going to Sun and Wed night youth group at church. My issuse is that she is not so much going for the religious benefit, but for the social gathering with friends. She disagrees with me, but her ongoing disrespectful behavior shows otherwise. Restriction is restriction, right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:10 PM on May. 2, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Call the youth minister and find out what the lesson for the night is... see if you can get a copy of any paper work and she can stay at home and read from that part of the bible and go over the lesson.

THAT way you are honoring her desire to be closer to God while keeping the restriction.

LOL... play HER game and beat her at it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

• yes, let her go
    Anonymous

• Don't let her go! My nephew was pulling some crap with his parents and they took away all his privliages, but youth group. It didn't matter to him, he kept screwing around. My brother didn't want to take his YG away because that is his religious time. I reminded him, it wasn't forever and if that is the only important thing to him, he will shape upo real quick so he doesn't have to miss anymore. After months of going round and round with him, they took away youth group. He got his act together really quickly because he didn't want to miss youth group.
    I agree with the first anon...find out the lesson and tell your child she can still be close to God...at home, until she pulls it together and stops acting like a brat.
    Like the anon said...beat her at her own game!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:21 PM on May. 2, 2010

• If she is truly only going to hang out with friends don't let her go. If you let her go she will see that she is not really on restriction and try to get away with other things. Restriction is restriction. She needs to learn that. She can go to church on Sunday but that's it. Maybe missing out of something she loves to do will teach her not to do things that she knows she shouldn't be doing.

I am a mean mommy according to my 8 year old but I am one that believes that we are parents to our child not their friends.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 1:23 PM on May. 2, 2010

• I don't think children should be restricted from church...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 1:25 PM on May. 2, 2010

• I probably would have let her go...UNTIL she told me I couldn't/wouldn't stop her- she just put the nail in that coffin
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:26 PM on May. 2, 2010

• Umm if it is a PRIVILAGE for her to go than you shouldn't allow her to go. She is being punished.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 1:30 PM on May. 2, 2010

• I agree with the first poster. If she's that interested in the spiritual part, then she should spend the timedoing a lesson at home. I would call the youth pastor and explain the situation and ask for the lesson or a similar lesson. If you don't want to do that, then just find one online. you might even relate the lesson to the reason she can't go, soemthing about honoring thy father and mother.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 1:48 PM on May. 2, 2010

• i agree with the first post. get the lesson for her and do it at home. as part of her restriction, socializing with friends is not included. if it were like Bible study that the whole family attended it would be different but like you said youth groups at church are also for social benefit. i remember those days and the topics were not always on topic! so dont take her away from the Religious aspect of it, tell her that you all will be going over the lessons she missed but she can not go!
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 1:51 PM on May. 2, 2010

I agree with this. Her telling you that you can't keep her from going is her trying to be in control and telling you what she is and isn't doing.
    Anonymous