SM of 2, I need advice!

I'm a single mother of 2 boys. my oldest is 3 1/2 and my baby is a few days shy of 8 months. And there's never enough time in the day. My oldest acts out every time i look at my baby and the baby cries any time he's doesn't have my undivided attention. He'll play with me on the floor (and my oldest throws himself on top of me.. ow.) for maybe 5-10 min, but then cries until I pick him up. Once he's being held he's fine, but my oldest gets jealous and starts acting even worse.. Any advice?

ExenoRainbow

Asked by ExenoRainbow at 1:24 PM on May. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• Make sure to spend some quality time with your child. The best way to do that without your youngest throwing a fit, is to keep your youngest distracted. You can do this by putting him on the floor with his favorite toys and a video that he enjoys watching. Then do things with your oldest. It is also important to show that you can playing with both kids together. This can be taking them to the playground, watching movies together, playing ball on the floor with both kids, etc. That way both kids realize that you can still give them both attention.

The kids are having trouble understanding that they both can have your attention AND they both can play by themselves. Don't give into their tantrums for attention. But still try to ease them away from having one by finding things that will entertain them whether you're there or not.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:04 PM on May. 2, 2010

• Playgroup or preK for older son? Exchange babysitting with another mom? Some days your older goes to her house, sometimes her child comes to you, so your older has a playmate?
    Group activity? A children's zoo or a park where your younger can play on a blanket and your older can blow bubbles? Camp out in the house, with a blanket on the floor for both of them? Give both their own toys?
    Anonymous

• I have been there, it is very hard especially when your tired. Find a young girl to come over and help you out. The age group of 9 thru 12 are good because they are most helpful and like to play, they don't expect much money in return and it gives them a head start on how to take care of kids...now mind you I'm not saying leave them alone....I'm saying have a young girl come be your helper.
    When I was 10 I used to help out the single moms in my neighborhood. I didn't have friends and my home life was the most enjoyable so when young moms had me over they would tell me how to take care of stuff but also tell me life stories that kept me out of trouble as a teen. I also became a very popular babysitter!
    Without the company and wisdom from other moms and learning from them I would have not been a mess.
    So that is my idea, I hope it helps.
    Anonymous