6 1/2 month old, teeth starting to 'appear', solid foods

We're working our way with solid foods now, and trying our best to step down from the formula and just water, watered down juice, etc. We're on WIC and moving to PA soon, so we're trying to figure out the best way to go about getting proteins and less bottle (as we're running out of formula, since they've added solids into his WIC regiment).

Has there been anything that worked out really well with your 6+month old? Anyone have thoughts on chipped ice (to play with, since its so hot here in FL)?

LOVES salty kettle chips (BIG chips), taken away once they look like they're getting mushy. Not sure about the teething biscuits yet. Figured the salt would help a little on the teeth breaking through.

Narakyndryn

Asked by Narakyndryn at 1:32 PM on May. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You don't want to "step down" the formula until a year old. Up until that one year mark, the formula should be his main source of nutrients. Solids until then are "practice". As a PP said, WIC is a supplemental program; their intention from the beginning is that you will still have to buy some formula, they're not going to provide it all. My son went through a 12-oz can in about two days, and they gave us 11 cans a months, so I still had to buy an extra 4-5 cans every month (or less of the bigger cans), which is normal for anyone on WIC.

As for the teeth, my mom says she used to give me frozen bagels; same philosophy as the PP who used the frozen waffles and threw them out when they got too soggy. I've heard it works wonders, but neither of mine have had an issue with teething (yet...knock on wood, lol), so no personal experience.

Good luck!
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 2:12 PM on May. 2, 2010

• not chipped ice but shaved would be ok. and i am just curious what about giving him solids is the problem for you? when my son was that old he was eating solids for most meal. he would have formula for breakfast and then some babyfood for lunch and dinner and a bottle at bedtime. i didnt fully understand ur question
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 1:47 PM on May. 2, 2010

• He shoould still be getting the exact same amount of formula per day until age one. WIC is a suppliment. You will have to buy more if he runs out. Only up the solid amount if he needs more in addition to all the formula. He still needs the nutrient.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:58 PM on May. 2, 2010

• Best thing I ever did was make homemade whole wheat waffles (alternate mixing in bananas, or ground up walnuts, or blueberries, etc). I'd then freeze them. The holes served as built in drool cups, the coolness soothed their gums and when it got slobbery I'd throw out and give em a new one. They LOVED it!
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 1:59 PM on May. 2, 2010

• Frozen bananas work well for teething. Just cut in half length wise and freeze on a plate.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 3:01 PM on May. 2, 2010

• I would stop giving him the salty chips and he is not old enough to take in sufficient water and may end up with kidney stones; apparently this is becoming a problem with young children.
    Anonymous

• You really still need to give him formula, and not cut back too much. It's still the main source of nutrition until AT LEAST 12 mos.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:01 PM on May. 2, 2010

• Dont let these woman give you troubles. If you decrease the amount in each bottle & offer your child food @ every feeding he wont be missing out. If the amount of formula gets dropped to much add vitamins into his diet. I belive they are called isopropyl drops.
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 6:08 PM on May. 2, 2010