do older people know when they are going to die?

my grandmother said today that she is depressed and upset and shes very gloomy. I asked her why she feels like this and she said that she thinks her time is coming. Im not sure what that means so why she would say that.

kara1101

Asked by kara1101 at 1:42 PM on May. 2, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think sometimes people know things, but of course we are often wrong. Maybe she is just feeling a little down or depressed, or maybe she isn't feeling well and needs to seek medical attention but isn't sure how to explain what is wrong with her. I hope she's okay.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 1:46 PM on May. 2, 2010

• I think when it's your time, you know. For some of us, it's more of a shock, but if you pay attention, the signs are there... Young or old!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:00 PM on May. 2, 2010

• I think they have a sense. Their body could be failing them, they're just not as young and vibrant as they were. It could just be that she's just depressed and with that comes a sense that she'll die soon. I do believe they can sort of sense it won't be long if they are near the end.

It could be her health is holding her back from things she wants to do.
    Try and get her out of the house to do things and spend more time with her. Try to help cheer her up.
    One thing I know that I'd want if I felt that way .. is a big family BBQ with everyone. Aunts, Uncles, Brothers, Sisters, Neices, Nephews, Grandchildren, Children, etc. Help brighten things up.

Keep talking to her and let her share her feelings with you. Just be there for her and let her know how much she means to the family.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:01 PM on May. 2, 2010

• I know from experience of taking care of the elderly, while healthy and in the dying stage, that they do not know when they are going to go BUT when they are dying they know it. I do have some advice for everyone who reads this. If you have a elderly in your life, make sure they have a dnr in place. This is a form that your doctor has to sign. It lets family and medical personnel know if you want to have cpr or comfort measures only. Make sure it is readily available to paramedics. Make sure you go over all of the information with the elderly. It is so tough to see family members try to hang on to their loved one when it is their time. Prolonging their death is hard to see for me. I would rather my loved one be comfortable and die in peace then have a tube down their throat and a cathater stuck up their pee hole. Your grandma may be depressed check her meds and have her make a doctors appointment. Medication does wonders.
    cherrera5

Answer by cherrera5 at 2:23 PM on May. 2, 2010

• Yes I think they know when the time is coming. Ever Christmas, my grandpa would hand out the Christmas cards to everyone from him and my grandma. Well one Christmas, he just sat there and stared at each name. Quitely just sitting, like he was cherishing the moment. It was really strange. He was almost teary eyed. Its like he knew it was going to be his last Christmas. Well the beginning of January, he had a heartattacked and died a week later. So I think knew all along that something was going to happen.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 2:42 PM on May. 2, 2010

• Yes I do... my mil we didnt recgonise the signs but she knew... she asked to see San Francisco where she mostly lived and her favorite places there.. a few months later she passed on.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:08 PM on May. 2, 2010

• Aww your poor granny. Im sorry she isnt feeling good. I dont know any answers but, ya know, some people have pretty strong intuition.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 4:04 PM on May. 2, 2010

• I don't know my great grams give the exact day she was going to die five years before she did. It happened so maybe.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 4:45 PM on May. 2, 2010

• I think it is only natural for someone who has lived their life to know that the end is getting closer, it is a natural process of life, not an extra sense but common sense.

Answer by older at 5:34 PM on May. 2, 2010

• I think that some people have the sense when the time is coming. I remember when my grandfather was dying... he knew he was terminally ill but was expected to live for several more weeks or even a couple of months. He took the time to speak to me privately, to my mom privately, to his sister privately. I don't know what he told them, but he told me that he loved me, that he was proud of me, that he was okay with the idea of his death and wanted me to keep my chin up and not grieve too hard. Two days after he talked to me, he died- much sooner than expected. I think he had a sense it was coming, and took the time to say what he needed to say. My grandmother died just last fall and in her last couple of days, she said that she thought she heard her late husband calling her, and when my dad said 'see you tomorrow' the night that she died, she said "I won't be here tomorrow." She was right- she passed just before midnight.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 8:05 PM on May. 2, 2010