Medicaid...is this true?

A family friend told me that my son was better off having insurance through my employer than medicaid since he would get better quality of care. Is this true?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:09 PM on May. 2, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I like medicaid. Never had a problem...
    Anonymous

• Yes. I know in my community it's true. I'm stuck with a horrible doctor bc he's the only one who takes medicaid here. I get crappy care and made to wait until he sees all other patients (who pay or have better insurance).
    Anonymous

• Not where I am from. My doctor is wonderful.
    cherrera5

Answer by cherrera5 at 2:14 PM on May. 2, 2010

• it depends where you are.. my son saw 3 peditricians.. the first office, he saw 2.. and they didn't know how he was, just wanted to get paid.. then I switched and he sees only one doctor and the doc is wonderful
    kittenripmaygo

Answer by kittenripmaygo at 2:16 PM on May. 2, 2010

• Depends on the docs in your area really. We are very limited as to what docs will take medicaid here and most of them are horrible docs.
    Anonymous

• In my area many docs take medicaid and private insurance. So, once you are in, you are in....lol....it' doesn't show up in the care you receive. You just have to find "the" doctor that you like.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 2:19 PM on May. 2, 2010

• It depends. The problem I ran into when I got on Medicaid was finding a doctor who was taking new Medicaid patients because apparently they're limited to something like 2 new patients a month. Sometimes, just to get into a doctor when you have Medicaid, you might have to lower your standards for a bit until you can find something better. But the quality of care where you end up going will probably be the same regardless of what insurance you're on (a crappy doctor is probably crappy to all his patients, a good doctor good to all his, I don't think many look to see what insurance you have), but your choice may be more limited on Medicaid than on private insurance.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 2:19 PM on May. 2, 2010

• Anon 13: That is because the doctor you see is crap. Any good doctor would treat his patients that way.

I have never had a problem. My younger kids doctors office has 3 doctors and they all know my kids. Remember their names and everything.

JAIRATRACI

Answer by JAIRATRACI at 2:20 PM on May. 2, 2010

• i have medicaid and my doctor is amazing. me and my daughter are both on it and we are well taken care of . you need to report these docs who are treating you this way to your STATE medicaid office. this is wrong. medicaid is the best insurance, everything is paid 100 %. there is no reason to be treated badly for it. turn them in for it!!!
    Preggydyke

Answer by Preggydyke at 2:30 PM on May. 2, 2010

• My kids are on Tricare (standard so, we pick our own doctor) and my sister's son is on Medicaid. My kids have a better doctor and better care.
    Anonymous