little insight please :)

hello, my name is brianna. i had my son Luca Feb, 6, 2010. He is my first and quite frankly i have no experience with children. i love being a mother but have so much to learn haha so he is about 11 weeks now. he is trying to talk and with yell and talk but not words. he found his voice but how do i get him to form words with the sounds he's making?

any advice? thank youuuuuu

momamay2010

Asked by momamay2010 at 3:03 PM on May. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• Focus on stressing the consonant sounds with him. Also consider purchasing language teaching interactive toys. Last, highly recommend you find a parents support group in your city.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 3:05 PM on May. 2, 2010

• I used to put DD in front of me and say MOM over and over.. and she said Dad at six months old.. it wasn't her first word (ungry at like four months), but she didn't say mom until 9 months old. The best you can do is talk to them and talk around them. They do the learning on their own. One thing you can start with is sign language. It's good for toddler communication before they know how to speak properly. Easy words like milk, more, finished.. can all be learned easily within the first year and a half. Good luck :)
    Anonymous

• He is a little young for talking, there will be more than enough time for that, but you can repeat the words you want him to say and they will eventually say it, but it's too soon at 11 weeks.

Answer by older at 3:14 PM on May. 2, 2010

• 11 weeks is a bit early to worry about teaching him to talk. But, what he is likely learning now is the dynamics of communication. I would recommend making the same sounds back at him, this teaches him that you take turns while talking, by showing that you heard his sounds, and are then responding. Also, read to him, every chance you get. I started reading to my son the day he came home from the hospital, and by the time he was 14 months old you could have a full blown conversation with him. The more he hears you talk, the easier it will be for him to pick it up.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 3:15 PM on May. 2, 2010

• He is way too young for you to start thinking about having him talk....a lot of kids don't say much at all in the first year...he's only 11 weeks that's not even three months old mom...relax, and slow down...enjoy him being quiet, because when they start actually talking...you'll wish they never learned lol....once they start, they NEVER stop lol. I love my kids to DEATH...but trust me...you don't wanna rush it. He's so young.
    Anonymous

• he's 11 weeks.

just enjoy the squeeks.

it takes time - most don't actually verbalize real words until closer to 12mo.

I agree wholeheartedly with 1:41 anon - love 'em to death but .....SHHHHHHH!
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:44 PM on May. 2, 2010

• just talk to him, love him, kiss and cuddle, if he goos and gaas at you, then respond. These ARE his words, he isn't capable of more than this. He will learn naturally form you just talking about everyday things.
    Relax mommy, it takes 18yrs to grow a child :-)
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 7:36 PM on May. 2, 2010

• I wish mine would say more and he'll be 3 on the 14th of this month. You see, he was born with a minor cleft palate and fluid in the ears requiring ear tubes for drainage. My ds is in a special educational preschool to help along his speech. It's helped but we still have a ways to go. Just enjoy the baby babble right now.
    jilligan362

Answer by jilligan362 at 7:55 PM on May. 2, 2010

• 1. he probably understands YOUR words, so keep talking. read to him, point out the trees are green, his shirt is blue...
    2. Sign language with words can help. You can sign "sleep" while saying "its bedtime, time for bed"
    3. he'll get it soon!! Sounds like he's very verbal already!
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 8:22 PM on May. 2, 2010

• ummm...he is an 11 week old baby. he's not going to talk soon. enjoy the little squeaks now, soon enough he'll be walking and talking and you'll just want him to sit down and be quiet.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 8:38 PM on May. 2, 2010