what should i do about my poor cat,,,please no bashing

i recently took my cat in after i noticed him limping. he is in to much pain to have anyone touch that leg and so vet can't see if it's just an infection or if it's broken. my cat is over 10 yrs old.anyway in his physical it turns out he has a heart murmur so if we sedated him for xrays he might die. if the antibotics don't work that would be the next thing to do. would you risk your cat dying or is it time to just put him down? i guess either way i would be a murderer but it seems as though i would be a bigger one if i took the chance of him getting the xrays rather then just putting him gently to sleep. does that make sense. he might suffer with the sedation or not i really don't know. thats why i'm asking. would he feel it if he is sedated? i love this cat so much. which would you do? and why?

melody77

Asked by melody77 at 3:15 PM on May. 2, 2010 in Pets

• Have the vet tube him, sedate him, and if the leg is broke they can set it right away without risking a second sedation. Tubing him won't guarantee no problems, but it at least gives the vet a chance to make things right if he stops breathing from the sedation. I had a male that had constant respiratory issues (from kittenhood) who didn't sexually mature until he was almost 6. At that point neutering was a must. 10 isn't really that old ~ I've had two cats live to 20. and many others were 17 and 18 when they died. GL. Seeing them in pain and not being able to do anything is awful.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 4:49 PM on May. 3, 2010

• I would chance it and have him sedated. It would be almost the same as having him put down. And when a person who is 80 goes in to surgery...the likelihood that they will die is still there... but they don't just terminate their life.. they risk it.. if that makes sense.
    Anonymous

• wow... hard choice to make.
    Can he brace the leg as if it was broken AND give antibiotics... then if that doesnt work take the chance on the sedation.
    Anonymous

• You are not a murderer for putting your cat to sleep (or sedating him) if you so choose. It really is the humane thing to do, though trust me I know how hard it is. : (

I don't know which choice I would make. Did you vet encourage one way or another?
    Sara.Robyson

Answer by Sara.Robyson at 3:20 PM on May. 2, 2010

• your*
    Sara.Robyson

• no she is very good about not pushing people which i good and bad at the same time. i just don't want to see him hurt anymore and the antibotics don't seem to be working so i suspect it's broken. they said by today he would at least be putting some pressure or moving more. he doesn't put any at all and they didn't give me enough pain killer to last me through today. i feel i don't have much time to figure out whats best.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 3:23 PM on May. 2, 2010

• I would go ahead and sedate him, this way at least you tried, cats live a lot more than ten years, he has got at least another 4 or 5 years left if not more, give him a chance. Take the risk because the alternative is not so good either.

Answer by older at 3:29 PM on May. 2, 2010

• If the leg is broken, I would euthanize the cat. I understand your love for the pet. However at his age, the chances of him surviving the surgery, ability to bounce back with bone pins and screws, etc aren't good. Not to mention the expense.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 3:33 PM on May. 2, 2010

• When my cat Winnie, was 15 years old, the vet suspected that she had a nasal tumor. The only way to diagnose it was to sedate her and x-ray her head. Winnie had been diagnosed with a grade 2 murmur (they grade them between a 1 and a 6) when she was 2 years old. When the x-rays were done the murmur had all of a sudden gotten louder. I was worried the day it was done, but she did very well and I am so glad we did it. Winnie did have the tumur I am sad to say but we knew were we stood and what we needed to do for her. Your cat is up there but 10 is not by any means ancient. There are of course risks but I would do it. THey can get a better look at the cat this way and see if it is a wound or a broken bone. If something does happen while he is under sedation he will not suffer. It would be like he went to sleep. When they euthenize animals what is, is an overdose of a sedation.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 5:29 PM on May. 2, 2010

• Give him a chance and sedate him, like older said. My cat is 23 and a friend has one that is thirty.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:02 PM on May. 3, 2010