my 2 yr old isn't interested in eating

He wants snacks, candy.....but not real meals. He hasn't ever been a great eater, but this is the absolute worse and I want to correct it asap. ANy ideas? or recipes? breakfast lunch or dinner!

DDTSMommy

Asked by DDTSMommy at 3:36 PM on May. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my DD is 21 months and has always been a great eater until recently. i said something to her doctors and they said its completely normal at this age and that she will eat when shes hungry. So i just try to make sure she atleast drinks a glass or two of milk a day and try and get whatever else in her i can. GL
    ashtynsmom730

Answer by ashtynsmom730 at 3:39 PM on May. 2, 2010

• If you don't give him the snacks and candy... he will be hungry enough eventually to eat a proper meal. I feed DD what I eat and she's 12 months...for snacks I give her apple slices, yogurt covered raisins, cheese sticks, jello fruit cups, etc... I try to just give fruit for a snack as much as possible cuz I know it's healthy.
    Anonymous

• For sure don't give him candy, sweets or the like just because he won't eat at all. If he's hungry he will eat. Make him a sandwhich...put it in the fridge for later if he doesn't want to eat it at the time, and he'll eat it later.
    Cut out juice and milk...because those kind of drinks, kids tend to fill up on them...So water or 0 cal flavored water..
    Anonymous

• To start with cut out the candies and snacks. Its normal for their appetite to significantly decrease at this age. Just offer him healthy meals and do not let him snack in between. I would not say cut out milk since children this age NEED the nutrients and healthy fats that milk provide but I would make sure that he is not drinking himself full and that is why he is not eating. Try offering him his drink half way through meal times. You can also supplement with pediasure if you are worried about him not getting all of his nutrients.

laciD

Answer by laciD at 3:47 PM on May. 2, 2010

• The air-o-tarian phase! They all go through it. First, make sure that she is drinking water, so she doesn't get dehydrated. Most important, do not create a monster who only eats nuggets, mac & cheese and hot dogs.
    Just keep offering a variety of healthy foods, eventually she will start eating.
    Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers.
    I have never met a toddler who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg.
    offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce.

We use the 3 bite rule. you must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; if you don't like it, you get peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:10 PM on May. 2, 2010

• Put the candy away. He doesn't need it. Same with juice and soda. If he's thirsty, offer him water or milk (if you drink milk). He's young enough to start learning healthy eating habits.

If he's a snacker (like my daughter), try to offer healthy snacks. Peas makes a great snack. Almonds (cut in half), lo-fat string cheese, whole grain bread spread with peanut butter, banana slices, lo-fat yogurt, blueberries...you get my point.

Try to get him to eat a couple pf meals (for example-breakfast and dinner). Don't expect him to eat a whole lot-just let him eat until he's satisfied. Children this age rarely eat for reasons other than hunger.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 AM on May. 3, 2010

• DO NOT CUT OUT SNACKS. Research shows that grazing (eating small, frequent meals throughout the day) is much healthier than eating a few big meals (ie breakfast, lunch and dinner).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:28 AM on May. 3, 2010

• Thank you all.
    DDTSMommy

Answer by DDTSMommy at 12:22 PM on May. 3, 2010