nap time.....

My oldest son is 3 years old. These last few months have been like pulling teeth at nap time. I have to go in there a bunch of times tot ell him to get back in bed, be quiet, ect just so he wont wake up my youngest. After about and hour and a half of fighting and fussing with him he goes to sleep. I dont know what to do or how i can get him to just go to sleep! I have spanked him and taken toys away from him. Can;t do time outs because well it would be pointless in this situation. When he doesnt have a nap he is really grumpy by the end of the day. This going in there all the time is really starting to piss me off. Nap time is mommy time, its the time that i catch up on my shows that they have no buisness watching, the time i clean, do laundry, ect. SO i have to stop what I am doing to put him back in bed. Is there something else I can do or should I just give up on his nap time??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:22 PM on May. 2, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son is the same - he NEEDS naps - he gets incredibly tired by 3pm if he doesn't nap, so moving up bedtime doesn't help. And when he does fall asleep, he sleeps for 2-3 hours and still goes to bed by 8, so he obviously needs the naps.

Stop engaging him during naps. Take out any toys from the room. Just leave a couple stuffed animals and books. If he gets out of bed/leaves the room, pick him up, put him back in - no engaging, don't say anything, don't spank, don't react. I've found this is the BEST technique for getting my son to nap. Usually he's asleep within 15-20 minutes, if not earlier. Also, make sure you don't wait until he's OVERtired - then he'll never fall asleep. Catch him before he gets to the cranky stage.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 7:50 PM on May. 2, 2010

• My son stopped having naps around age 3. He has 'quiet time' now and goes to bed earlier at night so he's not cranky during they days. It's a ton less stressful if you don't push them to continue doing something that they just grow out of. ;)
    Anonymous

• I agree with the pp. he may just be ready to stop having naps, but that doesnt mean you shouldnt still have your "you time". Just have him go into his room tell him its time for him to rest. Give him some books and things like that. tell him he doesnt have to sleep he just needs to rest for a bit. And you never know, he may end up napping anyways, especially if he feels like he doesnt "have" to nap. its kind of like he is in control of it now so he may be less of a pain for you during that time. especially if you dont go in there, it wont be a battle for him, so it wont be fun anymore to fight it if hes being ignored. Good luck!! and I agree that us mommys definitely do need our mommy time!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 5:56 PM on May. 2, 2010

• Stop trying to force him to nap. Institute "rest time". He can sit in his room and play quietly for one hour. It won't kill him, and it'll give you a break. If he naps, then he naps. If not, put him to bed a little earlier than usual.
    Anonymous