I do laundry once sometimes twice a week. How do you keep the odors in the hampers at bay until it is laundry time?

I've tried leaving a dryer sheet in the hamper and that didn't work at all.
Any suggestions?

QandA

Asked by QandA at 4:49 PM on May. 2, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I use dryer sheets. I would be sure that you aren't putting excessiveli wet items in the hamper and spray it out with fabric refreshers or lysol everytime it's empty.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 10:54 PM on May. 2, 2010

• if you dont mind the smell of hospitals,just get a few cotton balls and put rubbing alcohol on them leave them on the top.. the smell of them cotton balls takes over i tell you.
    Anonymous

• We keep our hampers in a closet. But if you have enough clothes you might consider doing a load a day or every other day.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 4:53 PM on May. 2, 2010

• Im guessing your hampers have lids? They are just not getting air. What about moth balls? What about those foot insoles called odor eaters? They might be expensive but you could respray the insoles heavily with Lysol and see hoe that turns out. What about car fresheners?
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 5:00 PM on May. 2, 2010

• Try "Stick Ups" (if they still make them. They're flat, round, air fresheners that stick to the inside lid of garbage cans, diaper pails, hampers, or wherever else you have "stinky issues!" :o)

I usually just spray some FeBreeze (best thing since sliced bread!) inside the hamper every day or so, or leave the lid open.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:08 PM on May. 2, 2010

• no idea....our laundry doesn't smell.

Anonymous

• I re use my dryer sheets. I throw one or two in the bottom of the hamper or shove it thru the rattan. You can also throw in some baking soda. It won't harm your clothes and it deals with any bacteria. What do you think ab out that?good luck

dimatteo

Answer by dimatteo at 5:30 PM on May. 2, 2010

• Um, why do they smell THAT bad? IF there are clothes that are stinky for some reason, they don't go in the hampers, they go in the laundry room and are washed ASAP.
    Anonymous

• I have kids/dh and boys of different ages, they play hard no matter what age, outside in the dirt/sand, playing sports, grease monkies, life.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 6:02 PM on May. 2, 2010

• Sounds like you need to take your hamper, empty it and scrub it with a vinegar / water / baking soda solution. It probably has some bacteria growing it it.

Good luck!! One thing....I have plastic hampers with lots of holes in them. No smell.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 6:16 PM on May. 2, 2010