What do you think of a state that declares that public school pupils should be taught to treat and value each other as individuals and not be taught to resent or hate other races or classes of people?

Arizona is waiting for Gov. Brewer to sign legislation making this law. This would outlaw any ethnic studies in public school. Arizona's superintendent for public instruction, Tom Horne, has said he's backing the measure because ethnic-studies programs encourage "ethnic chauvinism"; he's also suggested that such programs could breed secessionist sentiment among Hispanic students.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/20100430/ts_ynews/ynews_ts1885

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/04/30/arizona-legislature-passes-banning-ethnic-studies-programs/?loomia_ow=t0:s0:a4:g4:r3:c0.000000:b0:z5

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/30/arizona-ethnic-studies-cl_n_558731.html

And the bill : http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument.asp?inDoc=/legtext/49leg/2r/summary/h.hb2281_03-18-10_houseengrossed.doc.htm (only 1 page!!!!)

opinions, thoughts?

29again

Asked by 29again at 5:19 PM on May. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• La Raza (Spanish for "The Race") has held classes in public middle schools, high schools and colleges exclusively for Latino stiudents for years, teaching them that their original homeland was an area called Aztlan, comprising the entire southwest of the United States, and they they should be prepared to reposses it, in any way possible, for the Latino "race" (I thought it was a culture) This is what Arizona is trying to put a stop to.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:15 AM on May. 3, 2010

• My thought is why they have classes that would meet that criteria in the first place? It would seem if they did, they would fall under discrimination to begin with, without a separate law having to spell it out.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:27 PM on May. 2, 2010

• Our schools can barely teach academics. Let them start with teaching Reading, writing, math, science, social studies, and so forth. Teaching values is a parents job. Having a code of conduct that disallows mistreatment of fellow students under any circumstances should be enough.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 5:32 PM on May. 2, 2010

• I think the way you worded in your question makes it sound like a fantastic idea. However the problem is when you take out the study of ethnic groups you leave what...just white history? I enjoyed learning about all the cultures and races of the world and I don't think people should fear that knowledge but celebrate it.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 5:32 PM on May. 2, 2010

• Its so funny that Arizona of all states wants to do this. As if racial profiling is great for ethnic races.
    Anonymous

• However the problem is when you take out the study of ethnic groups you leave what...just white history?

If you really believe that then that should be an issue with the textbooks and content of social studies. It shouldn't require a whole new class. Such classes sound more like the entitlement generations way to get an easy A, to me. Let's put the focus back in reading, writing, mathematics, and science.  Foreign Languages can touch base on some historical and culutral moments, but not an entire class.

dandydiane

Answer by dandydiane at 5:37 PM on May. 2, 2010

From the way the law is written, it doesn't sound like it's taking out the study of ethnic groups, but insisting on a neutral coverage of them. I don't know how you can really do that, though. You can look at something like the Alamo or Little Big Horn and say, these two groups of people fought over land, but without teaching what was behind it, it seems rather pointless. Unless the stress is going to be on presenting the full story of both sides (which I seriously doubt).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:38 PM on May. 2, 2010

• I really don't know HOW they are going to do this, what they would NOT be teaching. I was curious, because there is nothing in my area of my state that would be an ethnic class in a public school. This is so out there, for what happens around here, so I was hoping that someone else could give an example, maybe, of what these ethnic classes are. They WILL continue the ESL classes, and the article also stated that they would teach about the Holocaust. That is about all I know about this. It makes me wonder what they are currently teaching...
    29again

Answer by 29again at 7:29 PM on May. 2, 2010

• 5:32 PM on May. 2, 2010 by: MamaChamp
    I think the way you worded in your question makes it sound like a fantastic idea. However the problem is when you take out the study of ethnic groups you leave what...just white history? I enjoyed learning about all the cultures and races of the world and I don't think people should fear that knowledge but celebrate
    ___________
    It sounds like a good idea to teach/discuss differences and respect for those differences . I can't imagine what would be wrong with that. People are people, no matter where they live, no matter what color their skin, no matter which religion they chose, etc. Vive la difference. People who are afraid of differences have to be pitied.
    Good post ManmaChamp!
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 8:00 PM on May. 2, 2010

• the way you worded in your question makes it sound like a fantastic idea.

That is a DIRECT QUOTE from the bill, linked at the bottom of the OP. Those are not MY words, those are the words in the bill!
    29again

Answer by 29again at 8:10 PM on May. 2, 2010