quiet time

When kids grow out of nap time and they have "quiet time" instead.. How long does that last, where do they do it at, are they allowed to play with toys... I dont know anything about it but think i need to start that with my son.. HELP!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:22 PM on May. 2, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My 4 year old DS has "quiet time" the same time his younger sisters go down for naps. He goes in his room and lays on his bed. He doesn't have to sleep, but I also don't want him making multiple trips to the bathroom or playing with loud toys as his sisters' rooms are right beside his. A lot of the time he does go to sleep though. It's a must for him because if he didn't have "quiet time" he would drive me INSANE with attitude. Usually the days he has preschool are the days he sleeps though. They sure wear him out there!
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 11:46 PM on May. 2, 2010

• we have a quiet time with a book, colouring or tv. on the couch - no toys.

usually about an hour.
    Anonymous

• he is calm when im reading to him..but we dont have anything called "quiet time"
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 5:35 PM on May. 2, 2010

• In preK where I work, they are expected to sit on their cot, look at books, or play with a quiet game/toy by themselves for about an hour. That could work at home.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:32 PM on May. 2, 2010

• I'm 49 years old and still look forward to my daily quiet time with a book or sometimes a nap. Great way to relieve stress. Our daycare use to have a movie or reading time for 1 hour. We did it at home in the summers too.
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 9:00 PM on May. 2, 2010

• When my daughter was 4 she would lay down on the couch with me and watch a movie (an hour - how long we had between picking her up from preschool and when we had to leave to pick up her brothers from school) - sometimes she would fall asleep, but usually not.

Answer by missanc at 10:05 PM on May. 2, 2010

• How ever long the movie he picks is.

Thats really the only tv he watches and it normally zonks him out.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 1:57 AM on May. 3, 2010

• I would think you would just do whatever works for your family.
    For us quiet time was an hour in their bedroom. They could do whatever they wanted as long as they were quiet. My oldest was 2 when she stopped taking naps but had a 1yo brother and an infant sister that needed to nap (and a mommy that needed a break) so she had to be quiet in her room during nap time.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:23 AM on May. 4, 2010