Has anyone switched to whole milk before Baby's 1st Birthday?

My sisters pedicatrician with her oldest had her switch when her daughter was 8m old. He told her to give Isopropyl vitamin drops every other day.

I know my son is not allerigc to milk or lactose intolerant because he eats food with milk in it all the time.. .. ..

If my sons dietary needs are met w/ food, milk, & vitamins, what would be the big deal if I switched to milk now? My sons almost 9m old.

pinkcicle709

Asked by pinkcicle709 at 5:57 PM on May. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We switched early! my daughter was about 9 or 10 months old, I cant remember exactly. She was eating reglar table foods, and she HATED formula once she tasted how good food was. She didnt drink any of it!! So we switched her to milk. Her pediatrician and we felt it was better to switch her to milk and have her get nutrition that way then to try and force her to drink formula which she couldnt stand anymore. she is perfectly healthy. and I stand by my decision no matter how many bashing remarks I may get from closed minded people =)
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 6:01 PM on May. 2, 2010

• Why rush it? You don't know that his gut is ready for it. It's only 3 more months to wait it out. I would never put my baby at risk like that. He still needs the vitamins and mineral in the formula. Yes, you can give drops, but, why bother? His main nutrition should be formula and not solids anyway.

It may not affect him at all, but, I would hate to switch and find out later as an adult that his digestion is effed up..all because you wanted to push him into milk early.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 6:02 PM on May. 2, 2010

• You give a baby formula not knowing if their bellys are ready- we give them cereal- then food, ect. It happens in steps. If we go to milk & he doesnt tolerate it- I obviously wouldnt keep him on it. & @ 9m old the formula amount decreases. Im lucky if my son finishes the 4- 6oz bottles I offer in a day!
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 6:06 PM on May. 2, 2010

• Actually, I breastfed mine at first and formula is formulated closest to that. Their formula intake is supposed to remain the same or more up to age 12 months, it is not supposed to go down. Solids are only given around 6 months in addition to the 32oz of formula he should be getting. My son had 32oz all the way to 14 months. His food was worked in around that. He got formula first. Then, some food if he wanted it. I did not switch my son to whole milk until 12 months...well, it ended up being 14 months because I finished all the formula we had first. Cows milk is actually harsh on many stomachs, even adults. That is why there are so many Lactose intolerant people in the world. People aren't made to drink it really...we are the only creatures that drink milk from another mammal and prefer to give our babies other animals milk.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 6:15 PM on May. 2, 2010

• No. Your baby will DIE!!! It makes their heads pop off. My friend's sister's first cousins uncle twice removed saw it on the internet.

Seriously, ask your doctor.  All you are going to get here is a bunch of know it alls telling you you are a bad mom for even thinking of it.  I can't tell you if I did or not.  My inbox can't hold anymore hate mail.  I can tell you that all of my kids are alive and well despite all my apparent efforts to sabotage their health and well being.

sunshine06

Answer by sunshine06 at 6:30 PM on May. 2, 2010

• "No. Your baby will DIE!!! It makes their heads pop off. My friend's sister's first cousins uncle twice removed saw it on the internet."

I was all ready to call you a moron, then I saw the part about it making their heads pop off, and I thought "she's cool. I like her."

I switched my son to regular milk before he was a year old. 10 months, I think. If you feel he's ready, go ahead and try it. Give him a little bit (say an ounce), and if he has no adverse reactions, then give him some more the next day (maybe 2 ounces the second day). Each day, increase the amount a bit -however much you feel comfortable with.

If he has a bad reaction -which I doubt will happen since you mentioned that he eats food with milk ingredients with no problem- then you can hold off and try again later.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 6:50 PM on May. 2, 2010

• I put my Son on raw cows milk when he was 8 months old. He's alive and just had his 3rd. birthday. Do your research. ***Only my opinion***,but I think it's formula companies telling you to keep babies on formula so they can make more $$$! DO YOUR RESEARCH to find the answer that will best benifit you little one.
    Anonymous

• It is probably best to wait, and certainly something to discuss w/ your Dr
    "There are several reasons to delay the introduction of cow's milk until your baby reaches his first birthday. Most important, a baby's digestive system can't digest cow's milk proteins. Cow's milk also has too much sodium, potassium, and chloride, which can tax your baby's kidneys.

Even if his system could handle it, cow's milk doesn't have all the vitamins and minerals (especially vitamin E, zinc, and iron) that he needs for growth and development in his first year. Giving a baby cow's milk could even cause iron deficiency and internal bleeding. And it can increase his risk of an allergic reaction."

Studies of the past several years have clearly shown the difficulty of providing a balanced diet for infants when whole cow's milk replaces breast milk or iron fortified formula.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 8:07 PM on May. 2, 2010

• My daughter is 15 months and still drinks formula.Im in NO rush.Her health is more important then the CASH i would be saving.She also drinks milk,water and some juice.
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 8:50 PM on May. 2, 2010

• Dairy is an allergy trigger food and should not be given to a child who has not had a first birthday.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:16 PM on May. 2, 2010