Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Birth Certificate Info...?

Just looking for more information about the birth certificate. Should I list my babys father if we are not together? But he's planning on being involved.. & Do I need his permission to put his name on it?

I live in Michigan, not sure if different states have different laws or not...

& also, If I dont list him on the BC can I still get a child support order?


Asked by samscham89 at 6:12 PM on May. 2, 2010 in Pregnancy

Level 1 (0 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • To list him on the BC, he will have to fill out a Declaration of Paternity at the hospital when they do all the BC stuff (usually the day you're discharged). If he doesn't want to be on it, you can't force him to fill it out, but it will not effect CS in any way. I would give him this info, and then let him decide. I must say though, it's kinda sad he wants to be a dad, but isn't wanting to sign (well HE doesn't sign the BC, but the DOP is needed to list his name) the first piece of information for his child. It's pretty important.

    Answer by milfalicious08 at 6:40 PM on May. 2, 2010

  • If he is active in your life, and wants to be on it then list him, ask him to make sure. If not just leave it blank, if you guys change your mind it won't take much later in life to put his name on it. As for child support yes, you can still get child support if his name isn't on the BC My son's BC doesn't list a fathers name, it's blank,and he gets it All they will do is a paternity test, and then you can still do the support. Unless he volentarly states he is the father then you won't have to have a paternity test for child support.

    Answer by skylarsmommy24 at 6:15 PM on May. 2, 2010

  • Knowing who the father is, you need to name him on the birth certificate for many reasons, now and in the futrue, do the right thing.

    Answer by QandA at 6:17 PM on May. 2, 2010

  • Is marriage out of the question?! What about living together and raising your child together?! Since you say your baby's father plans on being involved in her life, then YES, you would want to put his name on the Birth Certificate. It will make things that much easier when it comes to child support. Whether or not he wants to be put on the Birth Certificate is moot. He is STILL responsible for child support. The courts can order a Paternity Test be done, and in the end it will be in your favor--just makes things more stressful and drawn out in the meantime.

    Answer by LoriKeet at 6:17 PM on May. 2, 2010

  • I was dead set on listing him on the BC, he says he doesnt want to be listed. I have a feeling this is just because he thinks if he isnt listed, he wont have to pay child support. But I've been told by several people and I have been researching it, and from what I understand I need his permission to list him, and he would have to sign some papers for him to be on the BC.

    And Marriage is out of the question, and we dont want to live together. We arent together, so theres no need for all of that. We are remaining friends, and raising our baby, but just as friends. Us being together just because we have a baby isnt the right thing for anyone, including the baby...

    Answer by samscham89 at 6:24 PM on May. 2, 2010