A four week old in a Bumbo?

I just saw a photograph of a 4 week old baby in a bumbo seat. My older kids never had one, but my baby will get one in a few months. The picture kinda shocked me..is it normal for a baby to be in one that young? Did you have one? If so, how old was your baby?

babycakes254

Asked by babycakes254 at 6:28 PM on May. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 4 WEEKS? Are you sure it wasn't 4 MONTHS? Wow..that is really young to be in a bumbo,lol. My daughter sat up well in hers about 4 1/2 months.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 6:30 PM on May. 2, 2010

• Yes, the picture was labeled 4 weeks. And that is right, because she is in my dd club and our babies are about a month to 2 months. The poor kids head was hanging down
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 6:33 PM on May. 2, 2010

• 4 weeks is TOO SOON!! My son just turned 3 months and I got him a Bumbo. He holds his head up very well, he has always seemed to hold his head strong, ever since he was born! I honestly think that he is still too little to be in the Bumbo, but I do want him to strengthen his neck muscles and the Dr. said 3 months is a good time to start the Bumbo. I let him sit in the Bumbo until his neck gets tired about 10min.
    mercilove

Answer by mercilove at 6:35 PM on May. 2, 2010

• I never used one but have heard that you can start using it when the baby can hold it's head up.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:59 PM on May. 2, 2010

• IMO, bumbos are actually NOT good for most babies. This was backed up to me by my daughter's physical therapist. She said that these devices actually cause children to do less tummy time, take longer to learn to sit and crawl, stand and walk.

If they ARE used (and I do agree they can be useful from time to time, I just don't think they should be used as a regular activity), a baby should NOT be in them until they have complete head control.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 7:04 PM on May. 2, 2010

• We used the bumbo early, but I don't think it was that early maybe 6 or 7 weeks.  My daughter has really bad reflux and needed to be kept upright for awhile after eating, every once in awhile I would put her in it after she ate. She was able to hold her head up and seemed to enjoy sitting in it. She stopped liking it at about 4 months, so I stopped putting her in it.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 7:05 PM on May. 2, 2010

• It says right on the Bumbo box not to use until your baby can completely hold their head up on their own.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 7:34 PM on May. 2, 2010

• I bought a Bumbo for my second child. I think I used it one time. Complete waste of money. I didn't put my son in until he was about 3 months old. 4 wks seems much too young to me.
    Kimposible

Answer by Kimposible at 7:56 PM on May. 2, 2010

• Maybe the baby was just in to take a pic?
    Anonymous

• I love my bumbo. But yea, 4 weeks is way too early. I think they should at least be able to hold their head up strongly before you try it. My dd was about 4mths when we started using it on a regular basis. Now I couldn't live without one!
    armywifey26

Answer by armywifey26 at 8:56 PM on May. 2, 2010