Have you ever suffered from Depression?

If so...have any of you used any treatment that isn't a course of drugs? Like St Johns wort or another herbal remedy or alternative method?

Was it effective? Did you combine it witha course of drugs too?

little.knickers

Asked by little.knickers at 6:33 PM on May. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• The only thing that helped with mine were medication and CBT. Part of that was keeping a journal and rating my feelings so as to give them validity. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• I was 7 when they diagnosed me Depressed... I have tried so many different meds, nothing worked. Effexor almost killed me. I have tried all the "natural" options and none of them worked either.

I still can't get out of bed half the time. 20 years later...

Good luck!
    Anonymous

• I did try St Johns wort for around 4 months, but I ended up in a pretty bad state. I take Zoloft, and it has definitely been a god send! - but I also did things to increase natural endorphins - aerobic exercise - I try to run every day and if I don't do it for a while, I feel lower. I have quiet time -meditation I guess - I also saw a great counsellor ( after several crap ones) who actually gave me some tools for coping rather than just sitting and listening and agreeing that it was a shitty situation. I also have Rescue Remedy drops which you put under your tongue - the one I use is an Australian one - contains Angelsword, crowea, Dog Rose, Fringed Violet, grey spider flower, sundew and waratah.
    I don't know if they actually work, or if it is mind over matter, but I use them
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 7:12 PM on May. 2, 2010

• I have been depressed since I was around 12 (I'm 31) and am on antidepressants now. i think they help but I want to add that caffiene sometimes makes the anger and anxiety from depression worse. a great book i read and own is the cure for depression.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 8:11 PM on May. 2, 2010

• i am not personally depressed but my mother and father, and many family members do have depression and i think my aunt has tried st. johns wort and said it helped some but ended up going on prescription meds. try seeingg a chiropracter clinic as they usually offer many services like acupuncture that can help with your feelings. thast the 1st place i would try.
    lovinMYtwins07

Answer by lovinMYtwins07 at 9:31 PM on May. 2, 2010

• First of all, make sure that you are eating a healthy diet, and getting plenty of exercise. Yoga, pilates and meditation can be very helpful for depression. Some people also find acupuncture helpful. I would also recommend getting therapy (counseling) while trying those options. If none of them work, medication can be very helpful. In my opinion, the items listed above work better than St. John's Wort
    emilex

Answer by emilex at 9:54 PM on May. 2, 2010

• I have heard st. johns wart works pretty well!
    I am bipolar and currently on medication, and it works wonders for me, but I can understand why people don't want to take it. It takes a while to find what's right for you. Good luck, I hope you can feel better soon <3
    .JessicaRabbit.

Answer by .JessicaRabbit. at 2:02 AM on May. 3, 2010

• I have had depression as long as I can remember, but wasn't "formally" diagnosed until I was about 16. I tried 7 prescription antidepressants before I finally said "ENOUGH!" and went to a naturopath. She had me try 5-HTP, and it has worked very well with no side effects for 2 years (so far!). I have had to up the dosage once, but I am nowhere near the max dosage. I take the Jarrow brand 5-HTP, but there is another company that sells a blend of 5-HTP & St. Johns wort, if you really want to do St. Johns wort.
    I also have been doing cognitive behavioral therapy in counseling, meditation, & journaling. I would definately recommend those as well. No pill is a magic cure :)
    Good luck!
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 6:11 AM on May. 3, 2010

• I have had CBT, and have been in counselling for years, recently changed counsellors but im not impressed with this one either. He's too young and doesnt have enough life experience. He's absolutely hopeless and meets just about every stereotypical expectation you could have of a counsellor!

I have been on anti-depressants too in the past, and am about to go back on them...but was really hoping i could try something more natural first because i am on so many tablets for other health conditions. They are also reluctant to use them because they could clash with another medication im on...but its got to the point now where they have decided to. I go back on May 6th to talk it over with them.

I have a very healthy diet, and a very active lifestyle already, so theres not much more i can do on that side of things. Thanks for your advice ladies. will get myself onto google later and do some more research xx
    little.knickers

Answer by little.knickers at 6:45 AM on May. 3, 2010

• My BIL is a licenced herbalist and when I started feeling depression I just emailed him and he made me a wonderful herbal mixture.  I has worked really well.  If anyone is interested in his info just PM me.  He has reasonable prices and is very good at what he does.

SpiritMoon

Answer by SpiritMoon at 8:38 AM on May. 3, 2010