Is Original Sin is a doctrine created by Christianity and imposed upon Jewish scriptures?

The first mention of the concept of Original Sin is found, not in Genesis, where the fatal event was supposed to happen, but in the fifth chapter of Romans, written by Paul. According to Paul, humanity was cursed because Adam sinned when he ate of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. Is Original Sin is a doctrine created by Christianity and imposed upon Jewish scriptures?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 6:45 PM on May. 2, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes, "Originial Sin" is a Christian concept imposed upon the Hebrew Bible (Old Testament or "Jewish Scriptures" to you Christians :-). We (Jews) believe that babies come into this world without blemish. Yes, Adam and Eve sinned but THEY sinned. Their sins were not transmitted onto their offspring. We sin as we live our lives. We do not start with sin attached to our souls, however.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 10:42 PM on May. 2, 2010

• Is Original Sin is a doctrine created by Christianity and imposed upon Jewish scriptures?

NOPE sure isn't. Why do you ask?
    Anonymous

• Well, I have to go eat right now, I have more I want to say about this, but it will have to wait. For a start, those who believe in the concept of original sin look to other OT scriptures as implications of it as well, such as:

Psalm 51:5 Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, And in sin my mother conceived me.

Psalm 58:3 The wicked are estranged from the womb; These who speak lies go astray from birth.

I'll bbs, to see if I can answer anything further.
    Anonymous

• I just want to know if Original Sin is mentioned in the OT. I don't want vague verses that may or may not allude to it, but actual proof that it's talking about Original Sin.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:30 PM on May. 2, 2010

• pass

you are going to accept anything as proof so why bother...
    Anonymous

• Well if you don't take the two scriptures already listed as anything more than "vague verses that may or may not allude to it", anything more I offer is not going to be a satisfactory answer. The words "original sin" or "ancestral sin" as it's sometimes called are not found in the Bible at all. The answer comes down entirely to opinion and interpretation.
    Anonymous

• The reasons scripture is vague to you is the inability to see. You want clear obvious scriptures but you need to realize what we see as Christians as obvious will not be obvious to you because unbelief. The only way to see is to ask God to open your eyes.

The word original sin is not in the bible but the act of it is... in the book of Genesis.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 9:22 PM on May. 2, 2010

• the only thing i can think of is the story where Jesus heals the blind man on the Sabbath and ticks off the Jewish leaders. i believe its John 9. anyways toward the end the Jewish leaders talk to the once blind men and when the blind man says he is now a follower of Jesus they get angry and say "you were sinful at birth, how dare you lecture us!".

personally, ive never believed in the full idea of Original Sin, so i really dont know much about it.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:04 PM on May. 2, 2010

• Shan, that is a dumb ass excuse. You see things you want to because either you've been taught to think that's what those verses mean, or because you need validation so badly, you see what you want to see. One should not have to already BE a Christian in order to understand your book. That defeats the whole purpose of bringing people to your God, doesn't it? You should not have to pray to a god you don't yet believe in to open your eyes to what is written in your instruction manual of faith. It's absurd to say the least.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:55 AM on May. 3, 2010

• eema.gray, thank you for your answer and it's makes perfect, logical sense. I have come to believe that Christians have hijacked the OT and have tacked on their own book to it, using OT verses to try and create the illusion that it's a continuation when in reality, it's anything BUT.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:58 AM on May. 3, 2010