Please help if you know about azalea's.

My DH got me a beautiful azalea for Valentines Day. He got it from Hy-Vee (grocery store). It has a braided "trunk" to look like a braided tree. It was full of gorgeous red flowers and tons of foliage! It drooped the first week because I didn't know it needed so much water. I asked Hy-Vee and started water it as much as it needed. It came back up wonderfully. My 3 year old decided to pull all the flowers and some of the foliage off one day and since then all of the rest of the foliage has since dried up and fallen off. I do keep watering it but it hasn't grown anything back... Living in Iowa I was instructed not to plant it outdoors (due to climate) but can I save it? if so what do I need to do? How do you know if it is really dead for good? I hope i can save it!

hotrodmomma

Asked by hotrodmomma at 6:46 PM on May. 2, 2010 in Home & Garden

• http://www.extension.umn.edu/yardandgarden/ygbriefs/h144azalea.html

If you are past the threat of frost, put it outdoors in the sun.

I don't know anything about growing Azalea's in the north. Here in the south, they can be HUGE outdoor bushes. Good luck!!!!
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 6:57 PM on May. 2, 2010

• hmm, to see if it's dead i would cut off one of the branches to see if it was green inside (if it's green inside the bush is still alive). my advice would be to not over-water it bc you can kill it with kindness lol. just water when the dirt feels dry to the touch. and put it in a nice sunny window and when your frost date comes around, you plant it outside in a sunny spot and put some fine pine mulch in the hole with it bc they like acidic soil. gl..... hope it's not gone for good
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:13 PM on May. 2, 2010