How to get pee smell out of laundry.

Okay so my 5 yr. old still is wetting the bed most night (after trying pretty much everything and after Dr. testing they said it's just going to have to be something she grows out of/ -she's a super heavy sleeper) Anyhow she has the worst smelling urine I have ever smelled (we did have urine culture done so nothing out of the ordinary, just the way her urine smells) How can I get the smell out of anything colored? I obviously bleach whites but even color safe bleach nor baking soda nor oxyclean nor any detergent is getting this horrid smell out. Please help this is ruining clothes and bedding! Hopefully there is a cheap way to rid this smell (we are on a super limited budget and going back to school after lay-off) Thanks for any help!

hotrodmomma

Asked by hotrodmomma at 7:06 PM on May. 2, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I second the vinegar. I often add baking soda in the same wash load. My daughter has dilated renal pelvis, with reflux (her kidneys are in bad shape) and as a result, her urine is HORRIBLE smelling! She often floods her diapers so her clothes are often wet. I separate her stinky clothes from the rest of the laundry and wash them with baking soda + vinegar.  For a small or medium load, I dump about a cup of baking soda in, and about 3 cups of vinegar. (I've never measured it- I just dump) Then I wash them again with the regular detergent. I always have to do the second wash, but they come out smelling like my detergent and not like pee.

Good Luck!

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 7:23 PM on May. 2, 2010

• Distilled White Vinegar instead of Fabric Softener!!!!
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:14 PM on May. 2, 2010

• Both my older boys wet the bed so I know what you mean about the pee smell. I have used laundry febreeze that worked well but I thought it was costly, and sometimes hard to find. What I do now is use pine sol-- I put 1-2 CAP-ful of it in with the wash and that seems to help with pee smell.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 7:15 PM on May. 2, 2010

• PS- If you can't wash the wet stuff right away, sink it in a bucket of warm water with vinegar in it. It will help keep the smell from setting into the fibers and you'll be able to dump that whole bucket into the machine when you are ready to wash it.
    VeronicaLee

• run the washer on hit and add about 1 cup of vinger... also how I do my towels... the allways come out super soft.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 7:52 PM on May. 2, 2010

• I use vinegar. Actually, I use it with all my loads of laundry- but I put a bit extra when washing accidents.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 7:59 PM on May. 2, 2010

• These are good hints/ I was also gonna say add vinegar to the wash and let it soak, so if you're not ready to wash the load, it at least is sitting in vinegar water.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 8:00 PM on May. 2, 2010

• Vinegar, white or cider, works great.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 8:14 PM on May. 2, 2010

• There is a great cleaner at Sams Club and Home Depot (not sure where else) It's called Odo-Ban. It is a disinfectant deoderizer and it smells like eucalyptus (sp?). I used this while working with mentally disabled adults and continue to use it now that I have kids. You can add it to laundary, dilute in a spray bottle for cleaning... It even gets rid of cat pee!!! I love it, I don't use anything else. I even spray it around the house like febreeze
    twins2x

Answer by twins2x at 9:55 PM on May. 2, 2010

• Vinegar
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 9:59 PM on May. 2, 2010