what do you believe is right or wrong in a situation like this? How would you react as a mother? (don't know where else to put this)

okay, so this is the third story this year I've read in the paper or heard about from SO (he's a fireman), where a mother is outside a burning building with her child(ren) inside. This last one bugged me. I guess the woman stepped out of the apartment for a second and the house is all of a sudden engulfed in flames, and she just sits there screaming and crying rather than reacting and trying to get to her baby. (whom was only a year old). I guess my question is, how could ANY mother leave her child in a house while it's burning. I just couldn't do it. I couldn't leave the house while it was burning and my child was still inside. I would rather die trying to save my child in the fire, than just sit and cry about it later. I don't care about the house. If I had to, I'd just out the second floor window and land on my back (probably breaking it) in order to save my child. (link to story below)

xxhazeldovexx

Asked by xxhazeldovexx at 7:19 PM on May. 2, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Because we live in a mobile home, fire is one of my worst fears!! I often think about it when I go to bed and I wonder how I will get to, and carry outall three of my kids. I also wonder how I would decide which one to go to first. I guess it would depned where the fire is. It is heart wrenching to just think about! I know that I would either get all three of my kids out.... or I would die trying.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 7:42 PM on May. 2, 2010

• xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:19 PM on May. 2, 2010

• I have no idea how I would react in a situation like that. Fear can be debilitating. I've always grabbed my kids in harms way but I can't judge someone who panics and doesn't nothing.
    Anonymous

• SOme people freeze when they are scared.Its pretty common..
    Anonymous

• when i was a kid my neighbors trailor caugt on fire...the firefighters forced the mother out and went back in looking for the little girl and could not find her. after the got the fire out the later found her hiding under the kitchen sink. It was sad.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:26 PM on May. 2, 2010

• Everyone is different. It sounds fishy that she left and the house is totally on fire, because usually the whole house isn't in flames two seconds after you leave the house.
    But you know what, you'd think you would do that in that situation, but you never know until you've lived through it! Usually when I start judging what other people do I find myself in the same situation and feeling like an idiot because I reacted THE SAME WAY! Think about that.
    Anonymous

• gosh i can't spell today..oopys. of course i meant caught...and they.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:27 PM on May. 2, 2010

• you cant say anything until you are in their shoes,please dont bash people..just because they werent doing what you think you would do,doesnt mean they are anyless of a mom.
    Anonymous

• I understand what you are saying but usually, the police, firebrigade etc all prevent/forbid and detain anyone from reentering the building. You might see a pic of the mom just sitting there crying, but you can't see the police officers standing guard and preventing her from going in. If you are not allowed in and have someone guarding you, what else can you do but crumple and cry. Poor baby.
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 7:29 PM on May. 2, 2010

• Yeah, don't judge, you haven't walked in her shoes...I've started two accidental fires in my life and I was able to react quickly enough to douse the flames and THEN fall apart at the seams, but some people freeze in the face of trauma..(sometimes due to past trauma) it absolutely does NOT make her any worse of a person OR mean she loves her children any less than you do~!
    chocolatluver

Answer by chocolatluver at 7:40 PM on May. 2, 2010