How would your daughter react to a mom and daughters online community?

I am a college instructor who teaches after school classes at the high school level to teens and parents. This is something we are thinking of adding to our programs to benefit parents and their teen girls. All your views are welcome.

MMcCray

Asked by MMcCray at 7:22 PM on May. 2, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• that's awesome! I'd love it if I had a daughter old enough!
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 7:23 PM on May. 2, 2010

• Would it be something like cafe mom? open fourms and questions? It sounds good but I think the outcome would not be very good. You have women on here already who act like teenagers, so to then go and add a bunch of teens to it. I think it would lose it's meaning and turn into a drama fest, just like on here. Course that is just my opinion.
    Anonymous

• I think it could go very wrong very fast... I think for it to work it would have to be monitored 24/7 by a paid professional who had no emotional interest in the site. You can see how grown women here can act like teenagers... I would hate for something made to bring moms and daughters together get trashy and bring everyone down.

I think I would be more apt to join a mother daughter adventure group... things like ropes courses, canoeing, indoor rock climbing, etc... things that build trust, involves trust, gets the body moving, makes you talk about other things... sometimes when I go on a hike with my daughter a comment about some random view ends up turning into a GREAT conversation. Or when we run (she bikes) she can ask a question and I have time to think before speaking because I have to catch my breath from running.  Heck even cooking a fancy dessert together would be fun.... plus you get to EAT it!!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on May. 3, 2010

• I don't know if it would work too well. I know my 17 yo dd who is a jr in high school wouldn't do it. Cafemom is a great place for moms, and I personally find it helpful. But I don't know if teen girls would want to be involved. I think your intention is right, but if you don't have an honest relationship with your daughter in "the real world" cyber space is not the place to start. I just think it is more important to have an open conversation with your kids to let them know what you are thinking and what they are thinking. I wish you luck, in a way I would like to do something like that with my girls, but I know they wouldn't do it.
    wallmom1

Answer by wallmom1 at 12:14 PM on May. 3, 2010