what is the average size of a newborns head when born? what was the size of your babies head?

mine was 13 cm, i don't know what average is though. i know you dialate to 10 so i'm wondering if your kids head is larger than 10 is that why women rip.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:22 PM on May. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• A babies head is larger than 10 cm. However, the skull is made up of four bony plates that aren't connected - they're designed to overlap as the baby is being born, so the head can fit through the birth canal. So the size of the head isn't really a concern - because of those overlapping plates. Unless the sutures are fused (which can happen, my daughter had one of her sutures fuse early), the head is designed to fit through. A bigger problem is the POSITION of the head - if baby isn't facing correctly, then the head isn't going through correctly for those plates to overlap very well, and THAT'S when a woman rips. One of the reasons it's terrible to labor on your back, it encourages the baby to not position correctly.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 7:30 PM on May. 2, 2010

• I ripped when my sons football sized shoulder came out, not his head.
    Anonymous

• Also, about size, the vagina/cervix/uterus are muscles and expand to fit the baby.
    Anonymous

• The first answer is correct. A baby's head is way bigger than 10 cm. My kids heads were in the range of 12 1/2 inches to 13 1/2 inches. The head kinda folds at the fontanels so it will fit through. I never had any stitches. If you notice some babies have cone heads that is because their heads were compressed in the vagina for a while before they fully came out.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 8:13 PM on May. 2, 2010

• you only dialate to about 10 centimetres. my son's head was 14 1/2 inches and i had no tearing whatsoever.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 8:28 PM on May. 2, 2010

• I think you mean inches. My first two had 13.5 inch heads, my third had a 14.5 in head. According to this site:
    http://pediatrics.about.com/cs/usefultools/l/bl_percentiles.htm
    My first two were around the 20th percentile and my 3rd was around the 70th.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 12:31 AM on May. 3, 2010

• I just realized those percentiles are for boys, girls heads are generally smaller.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 12:33 AM on May. 3, 2010

• DD's head was just over 13 inches, which is around normal.
    jedwards2009

Answer by jedwards2009 at 9:30 AM on May. 3, 2010