Do you feed your baby the "recommended" ounces and times by your pediatrician?

Or do you follow your instincts? If your baby is acting hungry, although the recommended 4 hours has not been up, do you make him wait? Or feed him anyway? how do I keep from overfeeding? TIA

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:16 PM on May. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think its good to nurse on demand, but I would be weary of overfeeding formula. There are tons of artificial ingredients meant to fatten babies up.
    Anonymous

• I nursed my son so I fed on demand, and would recommend that bottle feeding moms do the same. Every baby is different they are not all going to fit into the nice little schedule the dr. recommends.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 8:20 PM on May. 2, 2010

• If I did what my pedi told me to do my baby would of been always hungry and screaming, I fed him every time he started fussing or crying, when he didn't want the bottle anymore then I knew he was full, sometimes kids like to eat even though they are full that is usually when I used my instinct, when he ate his normal dose and kept eating more and more then I would just pull out the bottle and let him go to sleep.

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 8:21 PM on May. 2, 2010

• i fed on demand. a baby is hungry when they are hungry and not when the doctor's chart says they should be. you can't overfeed. they will spit it up if it is too much for them, but mostly they will turn away from the breast/bottle when they've had enough.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 8:26 PM on May. 2, 2010

• i feed my baby when ever she is hungry, if she wants more after she just ate 10 mins ago, i must tell her to wait a few hours??? i dont think so.. maybe the baby didnt get enough.. if she is hungry, i feed her!!
    Anonymous

• Oh hell no!!! Doctors will tell moms all kind of weird things never really looking at the needs of the child. When my children's ped found out I made my own baby food, he told me I needed to purchasebaby food 'cause perservatives were necessary for baby's growth...changed doctors within the month. Follow your instincts.
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 8:29 PM on May. 2, 2010

• wow "perservatives were necessary for a baby's growth" that is the crazist thing I have ever heard. I would have laughed in his face.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 8:39 PM on May. 2, 2010

• My daughters drank only 4oz.never any more then that after each feeding.I know my children and when they are full.My dr thinks i was starving them.If they wanted more i made it..but they hardly ever did.I never woke a sleeping baby to feed either Thats just dumb.A baby will eat when they are hungry.So i just fed on demand.
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 8:45 PM on May. 2, 2010

-----------------

I agree and keep in mind that the flow is a LOT slower in breastfeeding than from a bottle nipple. The baby can control breast flow. Easier to overfeed a formula baby.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 8:50 PM on May. 2, 2010

• you can not over feed a baby! they will not eat when they are not hungry! formula is no worse to feed on demand.
    Anonymous