Bed shopping questions

Ds is 5 and just outgrew his toddler bed, so next week we are bed shopping (Tax refund scheduled to be deposited then).
Would you recommend a twin or full size?
bunk? loft? trundle?
Furniture store? Department Store? or from a website?
I know it's important to get a good mattress...what do I look for in a mattress?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:31 PM on May. 2, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• we never did the whole tuddler bed we got him a serta single matress and he loves it, it's perfect for him and it don't take up too much space as a full or twin would, we got his matress at a furniture store.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 8:36 PM on May. 2, 2010

• we bought bunk beds when he turned 4. Just so if later he was to have a friend sleep over or something. We are expecting him to stay in it atleast till around 10 and then maybe we will move to a full size bed. Maybe we will have other children to pass the bunk beds to by then. We went to a furniture store and spent about 600 dollars. They are very nice wooden bunks with storage in them and a staircase. He loves it and he is 5.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:39 PM on May. 2, 2010

• personally, i would get a bed that will last awhile. when we got beds when we moved, we got the ones with drawers under them. we got twin beds. i dont know why a twin bed wouldn't last till they move out and get their own. i myself am just not into buying a different bed at all different stages.

do you want to deal with the bunk bed thing? i personally dont care about bunk beds because if there are friends over, our kids like to sleep on the floor or in the living room most of the time. however, if you do bunk beds, they can last well into teen years because my sister and i used them till i moved out at 16 to go to a residential high school. we had no issue with them.

the beds we bought my SKs were like $180 a peice at Value City. So far, we have had no problems with them.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:07 PM on May. 2, 2010

• Don't get a Sealy mattress. Those things are CRAP!

I would just get a twin. A bunk bed is good for having friends over, or, if you don't mind him on the top bunk, consider getting him a bunk with a desk area underneath - in a few years that can be very helpful.
    Anonymous

• we have twin beds for all our girls.

they're big enough, and still small enough for the bedrooms to have room.

if you have high enough ceilings go for a bunk - my oldest has her eye on a bunk with a desk underneath.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 8:57 AM on May. 3, 2010

• we got bunks (bottom is a full/twin on top) they are a bit too close to the ceiling fan for safety, but he loves them.really only uses the bottom one, except for sleep overs. They have drawers underneth and as he gets older you can take them apart and have a twin or just the full. We went to a furnitue store. Get a good mattress cover too. Now days a lot of the mattress warranty are void if you dont have one. Just means you have to buy 2 mattress, 2 mattress covers, 2 sets of sheets, blah.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:39 AM on May. 3, 2010

• I sold mattresses and beds for a living for 5 years. If you buy a twin expect to be back at the store in about three years buying a new bed. Especially with boys twins don't last very long. I would also not suggesting buying a full sized bed because the companies are trying to phase out full sized so here in a few years you will not be able to buy sheets for them. I would invest in a Queen sized which will last much longer. Queen are not much more than Full sized beds. Buy the foundation (ie box spring) that is designed to go with the mattress you purchase. Many manufacturers will void the warranty if you don't buy the box spring designed for the bed. Also invest in a good mattress pad (washable). It will prolong the life of the mattress by up to a decade, literally. Get one with antimicrobials and allergen resistance.
    Anonymous

• Also they don't tell you this but the warranty is voided if there are ANY signs of bodily fluid or ANY stains on the mattress. This began during the AIDS epidemic. It is unsanitary and unsafe to hold soiled mattresses in a warehouse until they can be disposed of. If one drop of blood is on the mattress there goes your warranty. Get the mattress pad.
    Anonymous

• I say get a twin unless his room is big. A full would take my sons room. We bought him a pillowtop and we got a captains type bed. His bed is kinda cheap tho so we will replace it within a few years but he has had it since age3. But he loves the shelves to put stuff on!
    Anonymous

• i know someone said a twin bed wouldnt last very long....

but i used a twin bed from age 12 until 24 when I moved in with SO. He has a king size bed. Before age 12 my sister and I shared a bed. so when my mom moved, my grandma got us bunk beds. they were twin beds and we used those until we moved out. So, a twin bed will work.

i dont plan on buying new beds for my SKs unless they break the ones they have. I see no reason.
    Anonymous