When your baby does something new?

For thos SAHM moms, if you see your baby do something new, like take first steps, wave bye bye for the first time, etc. Do you tell your husband/SO about it, or let him see for himself? And for those of you that work, if a sitter or husband see's your baby do something first, do you want to hear about it, or witness it first hand? Our daughter is so close to takeing her fitst steps, and I am wondering if I should let my husband know about it, or let him find out on his own. He works 10 hours a day, 6 days a week, so he spends a lot of time away from her but is very close to her when he is home.

AK_aries

Asked by AK_aries at 8:35 PM on May. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When my husband comes home, I like to share something exciting that happened during the day. I tell him cute stories and I think he looks forward to hearing them. If our son learns a new trick I'll say "Check this out," and I'll see if he'll do it for him before I tell him what it is. When I worked in day care there was a strict policy of not telling the mothers if their child took a first step, it's her child and she should experience that for herself - even if it isn't the actual first step. I'd never want to take that away from a parent.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:38 PM on May. 2, 2010

• I am a SAHM I would normally take a video of it and send it to him. Now if they do something funny or cute I will skype him and show him.
    laciD

Answer by laciD at 8:40 PM on May. 2, 2010

• I usually tell him and then try to get her to do whatever it is once he gets home from work. Some things that can be controlled by us, we do when my husband is home. For instance, when we fed her solids for the first time, my husband came home for lunch and he was the one that fed her avocado the first time.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 8:45 PM on May. 2, 2010

• how about you ask your husband what he would want? let him know that you want him to be as much of a part of these things as he does, but that you're not sure if you should let him know (take vids and send them... tell him when he gets home... etc) or if he wants you to pretend like nothing happened and let him be surprised when it happens for him. he'll have an opinion, i'm sure.
    gracefulsky

Answer by gracefulsky at 9:44 PM on May. 2, 2010

• I am a working mom and I got to see all my daughters big first. If she would have done something new, I would have wanted my mom and dad to tell me about it (they watch her while we work). My husband works some long hours as well. 14-15 hour days sometimes and he had me text him if she did something new (he can not answer his phone at work). Luckily, he only missed a couple of first.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 11:16 PM on May. 2, 2010

• Yes I tell my hubby, and try to get video if i can. He's deployed so informing him keeps him involved.

When I was a nanny in college, I kept a daily journal for the parents. It had everything from how much he ate of what and when, books I read to him, where we went on our walk, any issues like diaper rash and if he didn't like a food, and the cute things he did that day. It helped them not feel so guilty about leaving him to go back to work.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:45 AM on May. 3, 2010