What is your opinion on "spoiling" a child?

Do you think buying expensive things for a child is spoiling? At what age to you think you CAN spoil a child? Is it a good idea to get a preschool aged child whatever they want?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:14 PM on May. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• What is your opinion on "spoiling" a child?
    My opinion is that "spoiling" is not something PARENTS do, but it is something that GRANDPARENTS can do.

Do you think buying expensive things for a child is spoiling?
    In itself, no. But bragging to others and/or your child/ren about how expensive it is probably devalues it. And, if done too much, probably will spoil the child.

At what age to you think you CAN spoil a child?
    NO AGE.

Is it a good idea to get a preschool aged child whatever they want?
    NO!
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:07 PM on May. 2, 2010

• You don't have to buy expensive gifts to spoil a child. Even cheap things can do it. If you can't say no to your kid and they know they can get anything they want, then they will be spoiled.
    BlooBird

Answer by BlooBird at 9:19 PM on May. 2, 2010

• Yes I believe buying a child of any age, anything and everything they want is spoiling. Even if you can afford it, a child needs to know that they can't have every material thing they desire. That is not how the real world works. As for buying expensive things goes...what do you mean by that? I personally don't think its smart to buy a child expensive toys or electronics because they are not responsible or mature enough to appreciate how much those things cost and actually take care of it. But you bought your child a Power Wheels or something like that for their birthday then I don't see a problem. When your child starts expecting things or assuming they will get whatever they ask you for, then that's when you know you've spoiled them.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 9:20 PM on May. 2, 2010

• We go to the Goodwill stores and find toys and books for her and she LOVES going with us and gets excited and brags to everyone that mommy and daddy got her really cool stuff really really cheap !! She is 3 . You can spoil at that young of age but you don't have to spend alot of money to spoil !!
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 9:22 PM on May. 2, 2010

• i will spoil my kids to an extent ... i think they deserve it. and as long as they continue to succeed in life, i will continue to spoil them. my mom spoiled me while i was growing up and it gave me motivation to want to be able to continue living that kind of lifestyle by finishing college, and getting a good career, etc.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:22 PM on May. 2, 2010

• yes, i agree with bloobird. they don't have to be expensive things to spoil the kid.... my sis does a great job of spoiling her kids with crap from walmart (and i say that in a loving way lol). it's never a good idea to give anyone everything they want. you have to be reasonable to the kid. when you're raising your child, you have to remember that your ultimate goal should be to have them be a responsible adult. there is no way they are gonna learn how to be responsible if they are handed everything for their whole life.

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:23 PM on May. 2, 2010

• Buying things isn't the problem.

It's the lack of firm and consistent discipline that causes more issues, imo.

Some parents are afraid to parent. Afraid to establish and enforce guidelines and rules.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 9:24 PM on May. 2, 2010

• I think kids should save up (give them money to save in a piggy bank) for things and that for holidays and celebrations gifts are fine, but if I bought something all of the time, not only would I be even more closer to broke, but it would be putting myself into a bad habit of them always expecting stuff. life is not about stuff...
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 9:28 PM on May. 2, 2010

• I'm not trying to take a stab at PURPUL, but I never understood how people who have "careers" as they claim to have, have the time to be on cafemom so much. I don't get it.

But anyway...

Yes, spoiling is not good. I have seen this with a friend. She gets her 3 year ol EVERYTHING. Literally. The girl wants it, she has it. I think it is because the mother grew up extremely poor and didn't have nice things, so I understand. But she will regret her decisions when her daughter gets older.
    Anonymous

• "Buying things isn't the problem.

Some parents are afraid to parent. Afraid to establish and enforce guidelines and rules."

Great answer!
    Anonymous