Can you see a heart doctor if you are pregnant?

Just wondering because I have had shortness of breath off and on for years and no one can seem to figure out whats going on. So the heart doctor is going to be my next visit. But, I am 12 weeks pregnant so I was just wondering if anyone else has had to do this.

Thanks

smarie1011

Asked by smarie1011 at 9:27 PM on May. 2, 2010 in Pregnancy

• you should be ok and if they need to do any tests that could hurt a baby they will ask if you're pregnant before they do them. but be sure to mention it right away anyhow
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:30 PM on May. 2, 2010

• You will be fine. Just tell them that you are pregnant, and congrats btw!
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 10:11 PM on May. 2, 2010

• my urologist wouldn't help me until my ob told him to do what he needed to, they started to work together near the end to make my life a bit easier, but in the beginning he didn't want to see at all bc i was someone else's patient even though she had referred me.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 10:12 PM on May. 2, 2010

• You SHOULD see a heart specialist. Mention your symptoms to your OB/GYN doctor. It is important to take care of your whole body,especially when you are pregnant!
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:36 PM on May. 2, 2010

• Absolutely! My sis is currently pregnant, and has had several visits with her cardiologist....however for a breathing problem, you should see a pulmonologist...unless of course you've already been down that road. GL to you...I hope that your shortness of breath issues are resolved soon!
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 10:40 PM on May. 2, 2010

• Of course. I was diagnosed with a heart condition after baby #4, got pregnant again (strong spermies broke through multiple forms & layers of protection), and saw my cardiologist twice during my pregnancy and once shortly after. I saw her around 15 weeks, at 38 weeks to make sure everything was going to be okay to go through a normal labor & delivery, and the after was to make sure nothing bad happened during labor/delivery. I've seen her again since and go again on Wed. I had an EKG and echocardiogram with both prenatal appointments. I could go on but I'm not sure exacly what else you're looking for.
    Anonymous