If you was eligible for food stamps, would you take it??

if not why??

yamil519

Asked by yamil519 at 9:36 PM on May. 2, 2010 in Money & Work

• Yes. In fact we just applied, had a phone interview and am hoping to hear this week that we will receive them. Keeping my fingers crossed. My husband is self-employed and has hardly no work at the moment. I am a sahm (only have been for only 9 months) and am starting to watch a little girl next week to bring in some extra income to help. Anyway, we are hoping we get approved so as his work picks up we can get caught up on other bills (like the mortgage) and be off of them in six months. It would be nice to not be stressed about where money for food is going to come from.
    Anonymous

• i am pretty sure i have seen this question before, but i personally feel that if you qualify for food stamps, you need them. so yes, i would take them.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 9:37 PM on May. 2, 2010

• My husband and I have qualified for food stamps for the entire 11 years we have been married and never got them. I just feel like we can buy our own food, so we do. We do not live a life with many luxuries, so we can afford food at least. What I mean is that we live frugally and don't have a lot of other expenses.

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:41 PM on May. 2, 2010

• If I needed them and qualified, then yes, I would take them. If I didn't need them, I wouldn't take them, regardless of whether I qualified (I wouldn't even know if I qualified since I wouldn't need to find out). I'd rather that money be used to help someone who actually needed it so that that help would still be there in the future if/when I should ever need it.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:43 PM on May. 2, 2010

• I got them when I lost my job and now that I have one, I still qualify for $88.00 a month.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:45 PM on May. 2, 2010

• If I qualified and needed them, yes. If I didn't need them, I wouldn't take them. I think, though (at least in my state), that most times, if someone qualifies, they need them. I often see people who actually do need them that don't qualify.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:45 PM on May. 2, 2010

• We're right at the poverty line so we do qualify for them. We don't take them since we are able to buy our own food.
    I was on Medicaid when I got pregnant with my daughter and I never want to go back. They treat you like you are stupid. They kicked us off because my husband got "fired" from a job that he still worked at and they didn't believe us when we told him that.

Anyway we've been there done that- and as long as we can keep our heads above water on our own, there is no way I am going back.
    Anonymous

• youbetcha!! i've worked over 23 years, paying taxes faithfully every quarter, then paying some more come april 15..i've paid my dues!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:55 PM on May. 2, 2010

• have to agree with dullscissors here, however i hope i never NEED them
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 10:11 PM on May. 2, 2010

• yes..I work and pay taxes and if I need them to feed my kids I would take them proudly. I know people who play the system and get them, and I also know people who need them and cant get them.
    heavenlypeace

Answer by heavenlypeace at 10:11 PM on May. 2, 2010