A question about putting rice in the baby bottle?

My son has an endless appetite and I am breast feeding so every one I know said to put 1 table spoon of rice (the baby kind) in hot water dissolve it and then add to formula to help fill him up. Well I tried 1teaspoon in his night bottle and did this two days in a row then he came down with 4 hour gas both times. why? oh and he is 2 months old.

Gypsywoman86

Asked by Gypsywoman86 at 9:45 PM on May. 2, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son's pediatrician advised me to put rice cereal in my son's formula because of reflux. There is a lot of controversy about this though. I would talk to the doctor about this first, different pediatricians have different views.
    It your baby is always hungry and you're breastfeeding, he probably is getting too much foremilk. It is thinner and has less calories. Try keeping him on one breast for an entire feeding so he gets a chance to get the hindmilk. Good luck!
    acurran88

Answer by acurran88 at 10:07 PM on May. 2, 2010

• His stomach isn't mature enough for it..that explains the gas...it won't fill him up. It will only cause discomfort, gas and probably keep him up all night.

If he can't sit up on his own and takes bites and chew, he doesn't need food. Cereal in the bottle is ONLY if he has SEVERE reflux. Their guts cannot handle the food until 6 months at the least.

But, everyone else will tell you to shove it in anyway, so, do whatever you think is best. Personally, I wouldn't do it anymore.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 9:48 PM on May. 2, 2010

• He is too young. His digestive system , no matter what anyone claims, is not yet mature enough for ANYTHING other than breast milk and/or formula.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 9:49 PM on May. 2, 2010

• I say breastfeed on demand. This is tiring, I know, but there is nothing wrong with breastfeeding when your child is hungry. if your baby is gaining weight properly, which I assume he is since you didn't mention any FTT issues, then you have more than enough milk for him. Even if you choose to use formula, up it an ounce or so. I would do away with solids and to hell with "Everyone you know". Your baby's upset tummy is a sign that they clearly are giving you bad advice.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 9:52 PM on May. 2, 2010

• I disagree with putting rice in the bottle. He's hungry, and may need to eat often, but he is growing rapidly, so that's a very good healthy thing.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 9:52 PM on May. 2, 2010

• I would not recommend giving a baby that age any type of cereal or other food, just breast milk. The gas is caused because his tummy is not ready to handle that type of food yet. BF babies digest the milk quicker, so they need to nurse more often than FF babies. My ds wanted to nurse every 2 hours when he was 2 months, but that didn't last too long. He slowly began to space out his feedings.
    JeanetteRene

Answer by JeanetteRene at 9:52 PM on May. 2, 2010

• I agree, it sounds like he's not ready for it yet. If you think he's still hungry then just give him more breast milk or formula. If he's getting gas and discomfort it's a sure sign that his body isn't digesting it well yet. I tried cereal with my son for the first time at 4 months. This was on a spoon. He spit it back out so I knew that meant he wasn't ready. I tried again at 5 months and he did a little better, but he didn't seem ready to take it regularly until around or just before 6 months.

They say a baby is ready for cereal when you can feed it to them on a spoon (mixed very thin) and they take it and swallow it instead of spitting it out.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:53 PM on May. 2, 2010

• Bad idea. As pp said his digestive system is not mature enough to "accept" the new food. Introduction of new foods should be delay up until after the first birthday.

Anonymous

• i don't thinks thats a good idea maybe you can feed him more ounces in his bottle frist and see how he does i don't think babies that young should be on cereal it make them really big sometimes and it gives them gas too.
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 9:57 PM on May. 2, 2010

• He's probably too young, and it should never be in a bottle.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:59 PM on May. 2, 2010