Food stamps for cash: moral or a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do

On the in the grocery store a woman stopped me. She wanted to buy my food for 20 bucks cash. I don't know if she was going to go dollar for dollar or .50 on the dollar. I quickly refused.

I don't know if she wanted to feed her kids or if she wanted a bottle.

Is there ever a time it is mora to sell your foodstamps for cash?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:56 PM on May. 2, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Nope, for one, it's illegal and if you're caught you jeopardize yourself ever getting them again.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 9:58 PM on May. 2, 2010

• i know is illegal BUT if someones light is going to get cut off or your water, then i think theres an exception.
    lhernandez7208

Answer by lhernandez7208 at 9:58 PM on May. 2, 2010

• Wait, she wanted to buy your foodstamps? If she had $20, why wouldn't she just buy food with that? This makes no sense to me.
    Anonymous

• Do you mean she wanted to buy you $20.00 worth of food with her food stamp card & you give her the $20.00 in cash?
    Either way, not only is it illegal to do that, but usually in a transaction like that, chances are that anyone who's wanting to get cash in exchange for a food stamp purchase, is planning to use the cash for drugs, alcohol or cigarettes & it's the children who end up going without. I would never give anyone cash for a purchase on their FS card.
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 10:07 PM on May. 2, 2010

• i completely disagree with lhernandez's comment about someone's elect etc getting cut off. you can get help for that too. mostly people sell their fs for cell phone bills and illegal drugs. you don't need a cell phone if you can't afford one and i wont even get into the drugs part. there's so many avenue's for help out there for people to get it's sad that they think they NEED to sell their food (that they don't even buy) to "survive"
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 10:08 PM on May. 2, 2010

• she wanted to buy my food with HER foodstamps. In exchange for her buying my food with her foodstamps she wanted me to give her 20 dollars cash.
    Anonymous

• I don't do it. It is illegal and if you are reported you lose them. However I have a friend who has done that in a very desperate situation. I believe some times you have to put morals aside and just do what you have to, to survive. Doing things to make sure your kids get what they need, I don't think can ever be a horrible unthinkable act.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 10:13 PM on May. 2, 2010

• she wanted to buy my food with HER foodstamps. In exchange for her buying my food with her foodstamps she wanted me to give her 20 dollars cash. - doesn't make sense ?? where is her benefit in that? Unless she couldn't be bothered collecting it all in a trolley herself? weird
    Either way illegal is illegal -no exceptions.
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 10:19 PM on May. 2, 2010

• did she maybe think YOU needed the help? IDK can't think of any other reason to to do it
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 10:20 PM on May. 2, 2010

• girls buys food for person, person takes food home, girl gets 20 bucks --- what doesnt' make sense? everyone esle seems to get
    Anonymous