Kindergarten - the "bonus year" question....

Hey all,

My son will turn 5 in June, the school year starts at the end of August. I was all ready to send him to Kindergarten, his preschool teachers told me he was ready and I took my son to a screening and was told by the school that he was registered, so I thougt we were all set.

A few days ago, I got the full written results of the screening and am nervous. The screening states that my son is above average in most areas, but was scored as average and below average in "visual memory" and "visual motor integration".

Basically, my son is very smart and very social, writes his name, writes the alphabet and is in the very beginning stages of reading (I am teaching him at home). With that said, he is highly emotional, will cry and throw tantrums at the drop of a hat and firmly believes that he is the center of attention in every situation.

My husband wants him to go to preschool for another year....

mamabear0025

Asked by mamabear0025 at 10:00 PM on May. 2, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I've taught preschool for 10 years. Give him another year at home. Boys with summer birthday do much better in kindergarten if they wait a year. They will be more in line with the other children age wise if you wait. Of course it is totally up to you, where you are confident he will do well. But be ready for the possibility of him repeating kindergarten. Kids can be cruel and if they find out they have repeated a grade, even kindergarten, they can be ruthless.
    Anonymous

• I agree. He may need another year to mature to the point that he can handle his emotions.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 10:07 PM on May. 2, 2010

• OP again...

I am currently torn. I want him to thrive and get a good education, I don't want him to struggle, but I am torn. I don't want to hold him back and have it be a mistake.

I am looking for any advice or any experiences similar to mine. My gut says to hold him back, by the 2011 school year, he will be 6 and our district will have the all day/everyday kindergarten in full effect.

Thanks everyone, I look forward to hearing what you all think.
    mamabear0025

Answer by mamabear0025 at 10:07 PM on May. 2, 2010

• If you can afford it, I would seriously consider another year. Generally, kids in kindergarten are held back not due to education reasons but maturity concerns. A lot of areas have what's called a "transitional kindergarten" where they are learning more stuff than a typical preschool, but still have a smaller teacher/child ratio. They tend to have a lot of boys with late birthdays in them.

Answer by missanc at 10:08 PM on May. 2, 2010

• All 3 of our boys birthdays are August Sept and October. They are all 3 the oldest in their classes and do very well, but our school district has a cut off date, they have to be 5 by August 1st. I can see the difference between them and a lot of the younger students. They got to stay home an extra yr. It was the best thing for all of them. Don't rush him into school if you don't have to. JMO anyway...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:12 PM on May. 2, 2010

• send him to school......endoursing the behavior will enable it.
    He will most likely be fine at school, and it will help him get over it.
    good luck
    Anonymous

• personally if its an attention thing, i would think sending him would do better - especially since both the preschool and the school seem to think he is ready.

he has to learn at some point the world doesn't revolve around him. i think that kindergarten is a great time to learn how to behave in the school settings. and if he is already learning some beginning reading, he sounds more than ready academically. my SS is in full day kindergarten this year. he just last week read his FIRST whole book to me. I dont know what he has read at school, but this weekend he read his 3rd book ever and is over-joyed. it is the most exciting thing for me right now. so here they dont expect kindergartener's to be able to read. if they can write their name...they are excited. ha ha.

i would work with him this summer on the emotional stuff, but personally i would send him.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 10:19 PM on May. 2, 2010

• I have a child with a summer birthday.....middle of July with schools in the area starting in August. He has done fine. He did all day kindergarten and was fine. He's now in 7th grade and has consistently gotten A's and B's in school every year. He is my more emotional and youngest child and instinctively knew that school is not the place. He has his moments, but at this time.....he's a middle school puberty ridden boy - He'll have his moments.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:28 PM on May. 2, 2010

• Both of my boys are June babies, so they are usually the youngest in their class. My oldest was definitely ready to go to kindergarten academically, although he struggled a little socially. He's about to turn 8 and he's going to test next year to try to get int the GATE program. Even though he's still a little behind socially, he's very bright and gets so bored in school. I think he would have had a much harder time if we'd waited a year to start him in kindergarten because he's bored. My youngest turns 5 next month and will also be starting kindergarten this year. It sounds to me like your son is very bright and even though he may be a little immature, he will probably do fine in school and as the years go by, he won't end up being bored. As a side note, I was also the youngest in my class and sometimes got myself into trouble because I was bored. I ended up graduating early because of it.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:43 PM on May. 2, 2010

• i would hold him back. its a whole lot easier to deal with holding him back now, then having to explain to him on why he has to repeat kindergarten. ya know?? theres absolutely no harm in waiting another year...boys also mature slower than girls as well..so it will defiinetly benefit him waiting that extra year. ya sure you could put him in kindergarten, and he COULD do perfectly fine...but..grade 1 and 2 is when he would start struggling, and trust me, thats no fun at all!!!!! it wont help him in anyway to have to struggle, and then ge held back then when hes already made his friends etc..he would probably be very embarrased!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 10:56 PM on May. 2, 2010