What's the worst thing that can happen in a Daycare?

Why do some moms don't like daycares for their children.
Do you really thing that Daycares are dangerous places?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:17 PM on May. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I've worked in the early childhood field for a really long time. Centers, licensed home daycare, Early Childhood Education, Headstart, and legally unlicensed daycare. I think the worst thing that has ever happened at the daycare is that a parent forgot their child and we had a dramatic situation on our hands. Usually your providers and teachers are caring and loving adults that have chosen the early childhood field. They enjoy learning about child development and helping children learn and grow. Like someone said earlier, you can always find a bad one but there are a lot of really good professionals out there. Do your interviews and ask for references. Do your homework. Daycare isn't for everyone but some people need it and use it. There are some really good people out there and children thrive under their watch.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 10:29 PM on May. 2, 2010

• Abuse by the caretakers is probably the worst.
    Anonymous

• No! If they are licensed and on a federal food program they are monitored and are required to have yearly child development training. Now if you were to ask me if it is safe to take a child to an unlicensed provider, then that is another issue. Child care centers are just as dangerous as a licensed daycare home. Be sure to visit and interview your potential provider to be sure it is a good fit. They are all different, that is the beauty of it all.
    Anonymous

• I think it really depends on daycare regulations in your state. In CT we have very strict regulations and I have worked in a daycare/preK for 12 years. The worst thing that has ever happened is a child who breaks a bone, usually from tripping or jumping off the playground equipment. (Yes, I know, there should be a teacher right there to make sure they don't jump, but sometimes they are tying someone else's shoes). My friend works in the same company as me, and she is currently looking for daycare for her 2 year old (we have no spaces). She is having trouble finding someone who follows the regulations and she is getting very uncomfortable. It's a lot of common sense, going with your gut and having the trust in someone else to watch your child as you would.
    Anonymous

• i guess the worst thing that could happen in a daycare is that your kid could die. . . . i assume you're asking why some moms prefer to stay with the kids instead of sending them to daycare?? i have nothing against daycares, but i much prefer to stay at home with them bc i know they are getting supervised properly and doing things to stimulate them. i don't really think that daycares themselves are dangerous, but if there are a lot of kids and only 1 teacher, then there is a problem imo and yes, that could be dangerous
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:21 PM on May. 2, 2010

• Daycare homes tend to have a more close and personal relationship with the children and the parents. They are able to change their schedules to fit the needs of the children in their care and the activities can be detailed to the children's interests. Centers are good too but they generally have a set schedule and a more general activity selection because of the larger number of children in each teacher's care.
    Anonymous

• I worked in one, I felt so bad for the babies... They needed holding and I only had 2 arms. It was so sad because I couldn't get to all of them when they needed to be held, and the director said I shouldn't anyway because then they will want to be held more. It's not fair that they couldn't be comforted when they needed it. Also the mean children that would bite and hit others because they were so mad and didn't know what to do with their anger.... It's not fair to any of them to be left with strangers. I only worked there a year, and made a vow to never put my children in daycare... Been a SAHM for 14 yrs, and am very happy with that decision....
    Anonymous

• Licensed daycares have a smaller provider/child ration than centers. It is usually a warm and nurturing environment. I guess you can always find a bad apple in a basket of great ones if you look hard enough.

Your child could die in daycare??? Wow, be sure to visit the one you are planning to go to. I love how someone always has to over dramatize something on here. Your child can get hurt or die at home too....
    Anonymous

• Obviously something could happen in daycare just like something could happen anywhere. Life in general is dangerous.

For me I don't like daycare because I think children should be at home during this critical time in their development. Obviously in some situations a parent has no choice but to utilize daycare. With that said I use to work in the field and I saw alot more comments about "needing a break," and even had children dropped off on holidays because the parents were home from work but didn't want to deal with them. Yes I heard this before to my face.

My children have most of their lives to be away from me. I want to enjoy learning with them while I can. I want them to explore the world and not spend their days cooped up in a small room. Real socialization is being out in the world learning how it works and interacting with people of different ages and backgrounds.
    Anonymous

• and the director said I shouldn't anyway because then they will want to be held more.

Sorry you think that Daycares are bad. But they are only helping you with the development of the children.
    Anonymous