My DD is not liked by her neighbor friends

My DD just turned 5 few weeks ago. She has had a problem with being bossy with her friends, and we've been working on it for a long time. It has been a slow process, but compared to a year ago, it's been getting much better.
Lately, I noticed that she doesn't play much with her neighbor friends. Then today, I realized that it's not her, it's other friends who don't play. I finally saw few evidences that convinced me that some neighbor kids don't like to play with my DD.
It's very sad, heart-braking to see my own DD gets excluded, and not to be played with, no matter what the reason is. I know what I have to do when it comes to teaching her nice, but I just don't know how to be supportive so she can keep her self-esteem, etc. What do I say to her?

Meachan

Asked by Meachan at 10:49 PM on May. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• Oh mommy, lighten the load,,,,does she have a bike? Does she have roller skates? Thats all I did from 5-14,,,I was such a tom-boy, in fact mine was the only house on our block that had a basketball hoop on the garage,,,and Im a girl!!! I had mostly rough and tumble boys on my street and I learned really early when they knocked on my door to get me to play on a team, it was temporary till they replaced me with a boy. She"s 5..they all want to be the princess at 5. Get her active and enjoy her youth
    Anonymous

• i guess just explain to her that is what happens if she wants to be bossy and bossy people don't have as many friends bc they are not fun to be around. i would also add that if she stops being so bossy i'm sure they will give her a second chance and start playing with her again. i wouldn't sugar coat it.... she will understand and that will help her to change
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:56 PM on May. 2, 2010

• Personally I wouldn't want my kids to play with kids that don't want to play with them... But that's me. We don't let our kids play with any of the local kids... There are more important things in life than getting dirty with local hooligans!
    Anonymous

• There is a 5 yr old at the end of my short block who is not allowed in anyones yard because she is just to bossy. Her parents spend time with her and they bike ride to the park and have her play there. Being bossy has to do with control, see why she needs to have control, teach her or have her in play therapy..about sharing and giving up the control
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:02 AM on May. 3, 2010

• This has never been a huge concern for me,I'm sorta an oddball myself,a loner. I have a girl,10 and a boy who'll be 6 this weekend. With my dd I have never really cared if she had a ton of friends or whatever. She always seems to pair up w/one or two friends. I think that as long as they have the ability to do that and get along,it's usually okay.
    Another take on the frienship thing is,something my sil has done w/my neice. I think it's a pretty common approach to helping kids get frinedships. She made a lot of friends w/other Mom's who have kids about the same age as my neice and paired them up for play dates and get togethers. I just don't like that because I want my dd to choose her own friend and know how to meet friends and keep them on her own. I ampersonally into the quality of a friendship rather than into quanity;) Don't worry too much about it,when your dd gets into school she might suprise you!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:34 AM on May. 3, 2010

• Give it time. In the meantime, YOU play with her...making sure she has to be patient, take turns...wait her turn, share etc. These are tools you can give her that will help her make friends more readily. Good luck.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:12 PM on May. 3, 2010