Census question

I am not interested in whether you agree with the census or not. How would you answer this question?

"How does the census affect me as an individual? Not my neighborhood, city or state, but me personally?"

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:58 PM on May. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• IF you drive, helping local roads helps you...
    IF you have an emergency, helping local emergency and fire crews helps you...
    IF you have kids, helping local schools helps you...

Unless you live in a cabin in the woods, create your own energy, grow your own food, and refuse all outside contact, helping your local community, DOES help you...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:11 PM on May. 2, 2010

****************
    What she said!
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 11:52 PM on May. 2, 2010

• Guess what? Your reasoning is a typical fallacy that the government uses and many just mimic when asked.
    If they didn't ever count the population with the census we would still build roads, hospitals and schools. These are all built through your state or local cities. Cities know how many people they have because they keep track. When they have to many kids in the schools they have , they build another one. It has nothing to do with the federal government. Even the money states are given by the government is still available because the states know just how many kids they have and they know how much the school taxes are and how much they spend per child. It all starts in the cities.
    The government just wants to know pretty much for political reasons. How many and of what nationality the people are in certain areas determine how many representatives your state gets. The rest is just fluff
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:52 AM on May. 3, 2010

• itsmesteph11 is right about the schools and the fluff. Of course, fluff can have it's uses...

School funding is "by the seat." If there is a "bottom" in the seat it gets funding. Schools also use registration to determine number of kids. You would be surprised how close their estimates are based on the property tax base.

The only way the census affects me personally..just me is through its original intent. It might give me a louder voice...even though I think it would be better if that voice spoke sign language..regular vocalizations don't seem to be heard anymore.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:16 AM on May. 3, 2010